Engine Alarm / Wiring Diagram 2003 5.7GXI-D

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys,

I've been trying to find out why there is no engine alarm when you turn the key on before starting the engine. I hear the fuel pump kick in, but nothing else. Engine runs fine, but no alarm. Is the alarm buzzer located somewhere near the helm? I cant seem to find it, despite a thorough hunt for it.

Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
The alarm is behind the helm
You should here a beep when key is first turned ON

This is a V6 but same as V8

Attachments

• GXI_C_D.jpg
    GXI_C_D.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 8

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
Flyer,
It almost sounds like you have never had the alarm (as opposed it ‘has now stopped working’). If true the previous owner may have removed it. But wait there is more. And frankly I am out of my depth on this one, so others will have to explain.

I have the EFI workshop manual for my 5.0 GXi-E (7742218) so I went looking to see if it contains your 5.7GXI-D and it does. What I found odd is that the diagram does NOT include an alarm. Huh? This manual covers a variety of EFI engines and there are alarms shown in their wiring diagrams. Its items 23 for the 4.3GXi-A that is also for a 5.7GXi-B and others. And as you go thru the other 8 in total schematics (covering dozens of engines), 3 of them do not show an audible alarm.

Now the real fun part. My “E” version is not included in these schematics. Some say was an oversight by VP. Regardless, on another post, someone with an “E” evaluated that its wiring diagram is the same as your 5.7GXI-D. But I can affirm my boat does indeed have an audible alarm that beeps prior to engine start. It’s under the dash. So, I think the ‘wiring diagram’ showing the alarm must be associated with the particular boat maker and that VP provided for alarm signal in the plug to come forward to the dash. In looking at the schematics that do show the alarm, it feeds off the Purple and Tan /Black wire which correspond to pins 5 and 4 respectively. And that seems to be the case for all the schematics with an alarm.

I have attached my downloaded version of your engine’s schematic as a pdf file. The note at the top is from that OP who provided it.

So back to your issue: did your alarm stop working or did it never have one? If it never had one, I suspect you can add one across pins 4 and 5 but suggest waiting for others more familiar to chime in prior to messing with it.

If it stopped working, I have no idea other than its simply failed and needs to be replaced once found.

Good luck and keep posting your findings and questions.

Attachments

• wiringdiag.pdf
    602.6 KB · Views: 13

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the info guys.

After looking at the main harness on the boat side, I have discovered there are only 8 wires instead of 10. The tan/black wire is not there, leading me to believe there never was an alarm on the boat. Guess I'm going to have to tap into the engine wiring harness, and run a wire to the helm.

Attachments

• 20240715_083505[1].jpg
    20240715_083505[1].jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
So, no obvious prior alarm, got it.

However, something still seems off and I am not experienced enough to understand why. I looked thru my manual and there is no schematic with only 8 wires into the plug. All had 10. And none with a Purple/White wire. And your picture sure looks like the correct connector. For giggles I did a side by compare, see pictures below.

What to make of this? I do not know. Hopefully others will. And be careful tapping into wires to make an alarm to preclude harming the MEFI unit.

Engine Harness.png

Engine Plug.png

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
So the alarm is now working. I ran a separate wire from the number 4 pin to a new alarm at the helm, with the other side to 12V purple wire at the volt meter. I now get 2 short beeps when turning the key to the run position, followed by 2 short beeps when the engine actually starts. I'm assuming this is normal? A scan shows no codes in the ECM. The engine seems to run fine with the garden hose attached, with no additional beeps.

Last edited:

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Anyone know if 2 short beeps both before and after the engine starts is normal? Couldn't find the answer online.

Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
The 2 beeps before is normal, not sure about the 2 after. Just guessing with no codes, it's most likely ok

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
Great you got a working alarm but this does leave me confused. The 10 Pin connector has on your boat only 8 wires per post no. 4, and the Tan /Black at pin 4 was not one of them, i.e. I understood Pin 4 to be ‘blank’. What is going on?

For the beeps, mine does beep twice prior to start up and this is what my manual states is normal as well. However, the manual does not have any explanation for 2 beeps post start. Instead, if there is a malfunction, it will be a steady beep from what I read. Other will know better, this is not my area of expertise.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
The engine side of the main harness has all the correct wires, however the boat side has only 8. From what I'm reading online, Four Winns offered the engine alarm as an available option. Why it would not have been standard is beyond me.

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
Ah, got it. I confused post 4 as the engine wiring harness which really threw me. I need to think more broadly next time ;-)

alldodge

Staff member
The engine side of the main harness has all the correct wires, however the boat side has only 8.
Merc and VP offered alarms mounted on the motor and under the helm. The problem comes in from VP going their own direction and would not always put alarm on the motor. The standard harness uses the 10 pin connector but just uses 8 wires. Merc uses pin 4 (tan/blue) for the alarm, VP used same pin but (Tan/Black) but then later changed things.

Indmar and Marine power uses same color and pin out as Merc