engine alarm on '97 200 Ocean runner

My wife and I took the boat out Saturday and got a repeated alarm from the starboard engine. No light on the dash, oil is full,, engine temp was perfect. I changed the fuel filters thinking maybe it was a flow problem and the cylinders were not being lubricated sufficiently. Nope. It happens at any RPM, is not something I can make happen, the primer bulb is nice and firm. Other than that, the engine runs at WOT (5200 RPM) without a tick or burp. Any ideas?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: engine alarm on '97 200 Ocean runner

You need to check each alarm sensor to make sure it is a false alarm. Does the system check gauge "self test" properly?

It sounds like you need a service manual and a ohmmeter.

i don't think it is a false alarm. System self check works every time I cycle the key. Service manual isn't much help so far.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The service manual will tell you how many alarms that motor has, what kind they are and the color of the signal wire. It will also provide methods to test each alarm circuit.

My '98 Johnny 150 has four alarms, overheat, no oil, low oil and check engine (fuel restriction). Your motor may have the same or less alarms. The service manual can tell you this info. The Ohmmeter can test the circuits.

AFTER CHECKING THE ALARM CENTER A LITTLE CLOSER, TURNS OUT THE NO OIL DID NOT FLASH DURING THE CHECK. tHE ALARM WORKS, BUT NO led ON THE DASH. CHECKED THE VRO2 PUMP, CHECKED OUT FINE, CHECKED THE OIL RESIVIOR AND FOUND THE SOCK WAS GUNKED UP A BIT. CLEANED AND BACK IS ERVICE, THANKS FOR THE CLARITY OF THOUGHT.