Engine Alarm 1986 evinrude

:( Looking for help, I have a 1986 evinrude 150 thats been giving me an engine alarm but i can't seem to find anything wrong. :confused: Does anyone know how to test the sending units on this engine to see if i have a bad sending unit? alarm comes and goes it will stay on for a minute or two then shutoff again. It has done this at all rpms and hot and cold engine condtions? :mad:

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Engine Alarm 1986 evinrude

Are you still running VRO pump, and how many wires in harness to pump? Is horn steady or what?

Still running VRO pump, Horn is steady when it is on. Haven't checked the wiring harness yet. Will check that today.

clanton

Rear Admiral

A steady signal would indicate overheat, fuel restriction, or bad horn. 5 sensors 1 at oiltank, 1 at oilpump, 2 on heads for overheat, and 1 for fuel restriction. Unplug sensors one at a time and run engine.

Paddling

Seaman

Hi Cyclops30, I have the same engine. On mine, the sending unit in the oil tank went bad last spring. Normally it sounds for 1/2 second on every 20 seconds when oil is low. Mine shorted and sounds continuous. I disconnected the sending unit since I can see my tank level. My sources say the sending unit only comes with a new tank, expensive fix when the tank don't leak.