Empty trailor weight

Pontoon captain

Recruit
Is there anywhere in florida I can get an empty trailor weight certification done that will lift the boat off to get empty trailor weight?

harringtondav

Commander
..not sure of Florida's requirements. The simple way is to go to a scale with the empty trailer and tow vehicle and weigh both. Unhitch the trailer and weigh again. The difference in weight will be the trailer's weight.

Most scales have certified weight print outs. ...maybe good enough for FL.

Pontoon captain

Recruit
..not sure of Florida's requirements. The simple way is to go to a scale with the empty trailer and tow vehicle and weigh both. Unhitch the trailer and weigh again. The difference in weight will be the trailer's weight.

Most scales have certified weight print outs. ...maybe good enough for FL.
Thnx my thing was to see if any place had some kind of a lift system to lift the boat so I could get the empty weight, was a far off thought

harringtondav

Commander
Thnx my thing was to see if any place had some kind of a lift system to lift the boat so I could get the empty weight, was a far off thought
..so it's easy for me to spend someone else's money. A marina could lift your boat off the trailer, then you could do the scale thing. That is what I'd do in frozen water Iowa. ...maybe you could launch and tie up your pontoon, and head for the scales....if you are south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Pontoon captain

Recruit
..so it's easy for me to spend someone else's money. A marina could lift your boat off the trailer, then you could do the scale thing. That is what I'd do in frozen water Iowa. ...maybe you could launch and tie up your pontoon, and head for the scales....if you are south of the Mason-Dixon line.
Thanks bud, that is my last resort but looks to be what I will do, am in florida so surrounded by lakes, rivers and of course the gulf and Atlantic. Was trying to take the easy route lol but your right about a marina lift. Thnx again

Fed

Commander
You can calculate the boat weight by measuring the weight on the hitch then moving the boat a set amount on the trailer then remeasuring the weight on the hitch.
After that all you have to do is subtract the boat weight from the weight of the whole rig.
My first choice would be to chuck the boat on the lawn then go and weigh the trailer, sounds scary but really very easy.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Florida requires actual weight of the trailer. no calculations, no guessing. there are two ways.

the easiest way to get a weight of your here in Florida...... Call the trailer manufacturer with the VIN and they send you the shipping weight of the trailer either with a mailed letter or an email. you then use that as the weight. that document will have the VIN and the weight. you can also email the trailer manufacturer, however that takes days for them to respond.

the second method is to go across a state certified scale and get the trailer weighted. this requires you to launch the boat and have someone stay with the boat while you run to either a certified truck scale or the local dump.

if you want to lift a boat, the bow hook and transom hooks by design are intended to lift the boat as well as strap it down to the trailer.

ahicks

Captain
Just locate a marina that will let you tie up for a few hours and get the trailer weighed. Should be no big deal. In my experience, most marinas are pretty good about working with you on stuff like that.