Emergency Starter Rope?

CaptDick

Cadet
Hi<br /> I was looking at my 125 Force motor and saw on the flywheel that you could attach a rope to it to start it without the starter. Has anyone tryed to start an engine that size this way? I broke the rope trying to start mine. It's a good thing it starts right up with the starter. Should I even carry an emergency rope to start it with?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Emergency Starter Rope?

If your motor starts right up, it may only take a revolution or two to get it going. It's not gonna hurt to carry one and try it if you need to. Might get a little heavier rope, though. And it may save alot of trouble out on the water if you can pull it over..

Paul Moir

Admiral

Capt' - would you believe this has been discussed before?<br /> Link<br />Nowhere near 200hp myself! :D <br /><br />EDIT: My most difficult start was a barehanded start of a 4hp, in bad weather. The flywheel was too slipery for the 6" of rope I had. :)

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

This past fall I had to rope start my 1999 90hp Honda 2 different times because of a dead bat, one pull was all it needed and it saved the day.

ZmOz

Captain

I tried once to pull start my 150hp inline 6...didn't even come close to starting. Although if it was warm it would probably start, cold the starter can barely start it. :D I think it's a much better idea to carry one of those portable jump starters, unless you broke your starter it will start your outboard just as good as the battery.

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I could rope start my Evinrude 115hp with no problem. Of course it had a large flywheel and good mechanical advantage. My 120hp forces, that's another story! With the small flywheel and very little mechanical advantage, no way.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Amazing how much more strength you gain when stranded in the middle of a choppy sea :D :D <br />Get a more substantial rope (Like a big chainsaw rope) or one of those battery packs (Very handy).

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

If the flywheel allows enough rope to get a good pull and your ignition system is not totally dependent it might help. I carried one when using my Johnson 55 with battery ignition. When I first got my boat I got an open in the charging circuit (broken wire in stator), and old trolling battery was already depleted. No amount of rope pulling will start one of those if the battery is weak. Got a courtesy tow from the rangers, and despite drifting into the "forbidden zone" on the lake we didn't get so much as chewed out. Could have gotten arrested- wildlife protection area. Volt meter was installed immediately after that escapade! Very cool rangers. Sent a thank you card via there boss- they were deserving of serious kudos. Bottom line: 1. There is absolutely no substitute for a good battery especially when your motor is computer controlled or otherwise requires it to run. 2. Experience is a most convincing teacher.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

There is absolutely no substitute for a kicker. Don't leave home without one. :eek: