Emergency...need quick advice

mark_gober

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey everyone. I've got a somewhat pressing question. My brother is currently out in our 14' fishing boat with his kids and he called and said the motor won't start. We have a new trolling motor that he is using to get back, but he doesn't think he has enough juice to get home. The engine is a 1985 Mercury XD18. We've been having intermittent performance issues. Sometimes it runs great, sometimes it runs at what appears to be half throttle (won't get up on plane). It always runs though. He said that today he can start the motor when it's not in the water, but the minute he drops in the motor down, it dies. He also said that he shocked the crap out of himself when he grabbed the motor. It sounds like electrical problem, but why would the motor die when he drops it in the water? Prompt replies would be much appreciated.

Mark

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Emergency...need quick advice

Have him lift the motor and pull the cover off. Then check the plug wires. I think a plug wire was working its way off and now is completely off. 12v won't zap you but 10,000v from a plug wire will.

jeffdjpeat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Emergency...need quick advice

sounds like a plug wire may be off, or worn in one spot making contact with something. might want to check and clean your carbs too, doesnt take long, and if the motor isnt used much, or not maintained, you may have some junk in there. new fuel filter every year, throw on new plugs, and look everything over. easy steps to make your motor last. if you dont have a fuel filter, best splice the fuel line and add one.