emergency impeller help needed

zebbmann

Cadet
ok folks. timing is everything. im on vacation and all was well until the motor stopped pumping water. this is day 1 and i have 9 to go. I have a 1996 75 elpt force/merc. i also have tools, spare impeller (came with the boat) 1 helper and limited knowledge. what i dont have is a boat mechanic or manual. i see 4 bolts, 2 on each side and 1 on top of the plate. ok, simple enough to remove those 5 bolts. now what. is that all i need to do to get the lower unit off? let me put it this way. pretend im a 5 year old kid learning how to tie his shoes ( not far off now that i think about it ). if someone can give me step by step instructions in real simple easy to understand language i would greatly appreciate it. its a long way to the boat launch and another 80 or so to a mechanic. im desperate here so please help if you can. thank you thank you

zebbmann

Cadet
Re: emergency impeller help needed

wish it were that easy. im on a slow slow internet connection here. cant play video..

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

you will also have to disconnect the shift rod. I can't teach a kid how to tie his shoes by typing words, you should try to load up and watch the video

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Will try my best zebbmann.

Pretty easy on your motor.

Trim the motor up, most of the way, so you can move the lower unit back and down at least 3 feet.

Safety stuff: trip the kill switch, remove the plug wires, disconnect battery, remove prop.

Then:
Shift into Forward gear.

Take a sharpie marker if you can find one. The shift rod runs along the starboard side.
There is a threaded coupler, and a jam nut to secure it in place.
Take the Sharpie marker and draw a thin line down the rod, the nut, the coupler, and the other half of the rod.
You will use this line when you put it back together, to save time in getting it adjusted.

Now, loosen the jam nut and turn the coupler until the upper and lower shift rods are disconnected.

Now remove the trim tab, the vertical fin just above the prop, take note of its position, or mark it with the Sharpie marker.

Remove the (now exposed) bolt that is up inside the trim tab pocket.

Remove the 2 bolts on either side of the lower unit.

Lower unit should slide out.
Sometimes a little persuasion is needed.
Don't pound on the anti cavitation plate with a hammer.
Tap on the thicker parts of the unit, use a block of wood as a cushion so as not to damage the unit.

Take paper towels and stuff them into any holes in top of the lower unit. This will prevent any small parts from falling in and giving you a headache.

There are 4 hex head bolts that hold the water pump cover in place. Remove them.

Slide the water pump cover up the driveshaft.
Slide the impeller up.

There is a small key that goes between the impeller and the driveshaft. Be careful not to lose it.

Be careful not to lose, tear, or damage any gaskets, as you probably don't have any of those laying around.

Now slide the new impeller down the driveshaft, put the key in place and slide the impeller down till it bottoms out.

Put the water pump cover on the driveshaft and slide it down.

Look from the top, push the vanes of the impeller counterclockwise and force the cover down over the impeller.
Or have someone else turn the driveshaft clockwise while you push the cover down.

Sometimes helps to put a little soap or even butter on the impeller.

Bolt the cover down.

If you have some grease, put a small amount on the sides of the driveshaft near the top, BUT not on the end.

Put the lower unit back on.
Make sure the water tube gets seated into the top of the water pump.

Slide it all the way on. Getting the driveshaft to mesh with the crankshaft can be tough.
Have someone turn the flywheel very slowly clockwise, while you are trying to push the unit on.
Install the 5 bolts.

Connect the shift rods with the coupler.
Align the rod, coupler, jam nut, and upper rod, with the line you drew earlier.

Try to shift thru the gears.
Hook everything back up.

Really shouldn't take more than 40 minutes if you have the tools.

I can do it in about 20.

HAVE A GOOD VACATION.

zebbmann

Cadet

ok, ready to put it back together. does it matter what kind of grease i put at the top?. you my friend are a genius. i cant believe how easy that was.....a lesson learned for the first class petty officer out there also...you can teach with words. thats a shot by the way from this former OS1.....thanks again and just let me know what kind of grease. i have a few different kinds available

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Any grease is better than no grease !

It's just to prevent the shaft from seizing to the crank.

And only a thin layer is needed.

Glad to help.

zebbmann

Cadet

severe weather halted completion of the job. probably a good thing as i have another question. when i dropped the lower unit a plastic ring that looks like it fits over the splines on the drive shaft and a rubber boot looking thing came out loose. nothing i have been able to find anywhere mentions these and you didnt mention them either. i figured id better ask...my internet is very intermittent and i have been trying to post this all day.. i guess they wouldnt be there if they werent needed. what are they and where do they go....hopefully this will post. i will try to keep checking for answers whenever i get a connection...thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

They are not really needed.

They are there to help prevent the driveshaft and crankshaft from seizing/corroding.
Many motors running without them.
Probably more valuable if you are running in salt water.