Elusive fish in deep water

cheejudo

Seaman
I look on my fish finder and see fish at 20-30 feet... how do i catch these buggers???????

scipper77

Commander
Re: Elusive fish in deep water

We are going to need a little more info than that. How deep was the bottom. What kind of fish were they? A school of shad? Did you try trolling?, Live bait?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You gotta hold yer mouth right, cheejudo.

Like this: MMMfliubtswk. See??

fishndirk

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can never fully tust your sonar. What appears to be a fat fish could be a fat stick. If youve ever watched big fish in a tank, they dont move very fast. Although I get excited when I see big blips on my sonar, I know that in reality its better to get excited when I see a dropp off from 9ft to 20ft with structure. Its more important to look for structure and bottom contour than individual fish blips.

cheejudo

Seaman

25-30 feet in like 50 ft water.. i just wanna know what type of fish chill down there =[

fishndirk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Suspended fish at mid level are the hardest to target. This usually indicates a transition in their daily habbits. Theres so many factors that come into play that sometimes even if you hold all the cards you still cant get a bite; temp, sunlight, water level, O2 level,, ect... Trolling a controlled depth is a good way to target suspended fish but this all depends on your location, gear, ect...

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

On lake Erie we troll spoons to catch suspended walleye, use downriggers or inline weights well ahead of the spoon. We also troll deep diving body baits like hot n tots, they have the lip that lets them dive, you can troll and get down 10 feet or more with the right line.