ELPT motor fail

Fishcake42

Cadet
.....and it was all going so well!

Getting boats ready for a sea trial after a number of engine and other repairs, and the power trim slowed to a squelchy halt. Suffice to say, no sea trial yesterday. Upon detailed inspection, one of the brushes had worn out and it seems the motor had been flooded with sea water at some point in its past so it doesn't look healthy on the inside. Made some new brushes, but motor defiantly not happy, so I guess I need replacement, anybody know of any UK based supplier for these at a reasonable price. Found several new on eBay from US. (This is the external pump kind with side mount rams).

Alternatively, are there any other pump types that have four hose orientation, and I can retrofit the solenoid too?

Any help and guidance appreciated.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: ELPT motor fail

Hello Fishcake.

THere were many systems used on these motors over the years.
We really need to know the make, model or hp, and the year of the outboard.

The more accurate the info, the better we can direct you to a replacement.

Fishcake42

Cadet

Thanks coming back quickly. This unit is original from a 70hp blueband (1982) which sits seized on my garage floor. Retro fitted It to a 1988 60hp manual tilt. It has the large plastic reservoir attached, part no. PT440A. Unit was also used on BMW and Volvo penta.

Didn't really want the expense of replacing entire system for single ram mounted version, so any ideas would be great.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Fish, That sounds like a MerCruiser pump. Maybe you can find one of those that fits.

Fishcake42

Cadet

UPDATE:

Thanks for the advice. Turns out it IS a mercruiser part, and a Volvo and many others as well. A fairly wide spread part for the time. Managed to find a place in Norfolk (UK) that has new stock on the shelf, ?230 inc delivery. Although the US would have been a little cheaper initially, if duty gets added by customs it works out a lot more expensive.

On order now, problem hopefully solved. Many thanks