Electronics upgrade for 1989 Boston Whaler Revenge

CrabLeg

Cadet
Hi,

I’m hoping to get some very general recommendations/suggestions about upgrading electronics on my 1989 22’ Revenge. I currently have an all-Furuno setup consisting of an older Furuno chart plotter (I don’t know the exact model # - it’s a black and white display, circa 2001), Furuno radar dome, and a furuno LS-6100 sounder. The GPS works great, but the radar and sounder don’t seem to work all that well and they are quite hard to read. I was originally considering upgrading the electronics because I need charts for lower Puget Sound, but can’t get the old Cmap cartridges for the chartplotter anymore (I’ve looked all over, but they are extremely hard to find now). Also Since I’ve recently gotten into saltwater fishing I’d like to make sure the sounder is operating at a high quality as well.
I’m hoping to get advice on what newer (used or new) units or combinations I should consider, and what brands you recommend. It would be great if I didn’t have to update the furuno Radar dome and transducer, and could just replace the chart plotter and sounder display units with newer ones. However, I don’t know if this is possible because of the age and type (analog vs digital?) of the Furuno Radar dome and the transducer. I don’t think I really need two separate units like I currently have - I’m fine with splitting a screen with sonar/plotter. Also I don’t need the latest equipment, just something newer than I currently have that I could obtain used. If I have to replace the entire setup, radar and all, I’m hoping to stay under $1500 for the entire package – not sure how feasible this is.

Let me know any suggestions you guys have, Thanks for all the help!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
There are a couple of different ways to go but none will keep you under your budget.

When it comes to GPS I have a strong preference for Garmin based upon their interface and the inclusion of BlueCharts (detailed maps) in the base system.

Reusing the existing transducer is a possibility depending on age (they don't last forever) and model number.
The FCV-628 would be the replacement for your 6100 sounder

Or... you could go with a Furuno GP1870F GPS and Fish finder combo unit

Radar domes have a life expectancy as well. Not to mention the newer digital radars are the way to go.

Most chart plotters support radar anymore. I have a Garmin HD dome attached to my Garmin chart plotter. Supports Radar overlays on the chart plotter.

Last edited:

CrabLeg

Cadet
Thanks so much for the rapid feedback! So, based on your feedback, am I correct in thinking that as long as the exisiting Radar dome and transducer are still in good shape (not sure that they are) there are a couple options for newer furuno Fishfinders or GPS/fishfinder combos that could still work with that equipment?. This would seem to be the cheapest way to go, if it is actually possible. However it is sounding a little bit like it might just be worth it to scrap everything and start from scratch with new radar dome, transducer, gps, and sounder because of the lifespan of the equipment that is currently on the boat. I don't really want to spend a lot of money purchasing a new furuno unit, just so that it is compatible with the old radar and transducer which are eventually going to die and have to be replaced anyway. Generally About how much do you think it would cost to replace all components together, at once? Thanks again for the advice!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It all boils down to the number and size of displays you want.

Two trains of thought...one, largest you can afford, display (10-12”) sharing GPS, sonar and radar.

Two large screen displays...GPS and radar on one unit, sonar on the other unit.

Transducers are cheap in the scheme of things. I wouldn’t buy a new sonar unit predicated on reusing the existing transducer.

Replacement cost varies widely depending on displays size.

Adding radar to a multifunction display will run $800 to $1,200