electronic ignition

lx.crowell

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1974 351 windsor motor in my boat, a while back i bought an electronic distributor for it but bought the one for the 351 cleveland, was wondering if you could just swap the gears on the distributor and use the one for the cleveland or if they don't work that way. Any advice is appreciated.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: electronic ignition

I am trying to think way back to the early 80's but I tried this between a 71 cleveland and a 73 winsdor and the cleavland shaft was about a 1/8 inch longer and the oil pump rod ended up being about a 1/8 to long. The oil pump rod on the two motors were the same length. That was a 71 and a 73 and it was a long time ago so I may be off on specifics. It was also automotive but I suspect that doesnt matter. Both were also points ignition.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: electronic ignition

a marine distributor for a Cleveland would be much sought after I would think by the old Donzi guys or anyone else with a 351C - I have heard they are very rare in boats.
I would sell that and just get a W one of ebay. Later 5.8 OMCs and Volvo Penta setups used electronic distributors,
or you could probably put a pertronix kit in your original distributor.