Electronic Ignition Conversion

rainbow

Cadet
Has anyone attemped on of these electronic ignition conversions? Pertronics has two types. Don't know anything about either. I have am '88 Mercruiser 4 cylinder in-line that I am thinking of converting (tired of rough starts and idling).<br /><br />Any info would be appreciated.

Trent

Captain
Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion

Good conversion..You may have carb problems? Check this link out. web page

rainbow

Cadet

Thanks Trent -<br /><br />I had the engine checked out at the end of last season, I think the conversion would help. Have you done on of these?

Trent

Captain

Wish I had a nickel for everyone....!!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

You will probable get a hotter spark but I bet it does not fix any starting or idling problem. 1988 engine starting problems are usually the coke or carb. Idleing problems usually carb adjustment or a valve. For me should I have problems out to sea I know I can fix points or condensor problem as I carry a spare set, have yet to ever need them on my 1980 3.0L 140HP. Not sure you can fix the electronic one out to sea. Now if they had a kit to convert to Electronic Fuel Injected something that would improve starting and warm up performance I might go for that. I just never seen a 4 cylinder that really had a spark problem. I am sure it happends but I check the points every summer to make sure they are clean and not pited. I think in 22 years I have changed one time but just because I felt guilty. Put the old set in tool box for a second spare. Just my two cents.

PropNut

Cadet

I just put on the electronic ignition conversion offered by aaamarine.com. they advertise in the back of trailer boats magazine. It cost me $179.99. I am very pleased. it was more that the pertronix ignition conversion, but it also comes with a hot coil. AAAmarine.com is also the only company that guarantees a horsepower gain. I'm not sure what my hp was before or after, all i know is i gained 2 mph. They are also very friendly to talk to. This was installed on my 1985 omc 3.0 ltr. Starting improved greatly. I used to have to hold the key for several seconds, and now it starts before i let go of the key. Of course, your choke and carb has to be in good shape.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I have a '76 Chris Craft with a Chevy/OMC 305 inboard -- coil with external resistor, condensor and two sets of points (Mallory distributor). What parts go away with electronic ignition, and what parts would be added?

adrew

Seaman Apprentice

i replaced the points/condensor with the petronix replacement 2-3yrs ago on 85 3.0L omc. does not miss a beat from 400 to 4600rpm. also, carry the old points and condensor as back up as it is easily replaced if needed.