Electrical

stoneagent

Cadet
I bought a pontoon boat and redid the whole thing. New seats, carpet etc.
Because of installing a new console I had to disconnect all the guages and rewire them in different locations. I thought I had tagged all wires. Have two left over. I believe they go to the motor tilt.

This is a 1990 boat with a 70 HP Evenrude serial # 2560915 I do not know the year. The boat has gear/gas controls that say OMC.

The wires ( black and a tan) in question trace to the motor and I think go to the tilt. The end in question have electrical connectors that indicate they go under a screws. I cannot find any place to put them unless they attached to one of the guages.

End result is the motor does not tilt and It will not turn over.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Electrical

You need the model number to cross-reference the vintage, it should be on the port side of the engine mounting bracket. But unless the motor is pre-70's, the tan wire coming through the engine wiring harness is the alarm sender. It should be attached to a piezzo electric buzzer inside the control box. Black is a ground wire - to my knowlege the only black wire coming from the engine wiring harness should be attached to terminal "M" on the keyswitch.

Tilt wires should be green or green/white and blue or blue/white.

Do you have gauge lighting? Does the tach zero out when you turn the key to "on"? Can you hear the primer solenoid engage if you turn the key "on" and "push-to-choke"?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Electrical

check the red inline fuse near the starter solenoid, it provides power to the controller for the starting and trim circuit.