electrical problems

dazid1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The latest problem with the wildcat prodject is wiring related, having pulled the moter again to change the drive as sugested in an earlier post, I decided to go through the wiring as I was unable to get a feed to the coil with the ignition on. It would fire on the key then die when it was released. This was remanisent of the old balast resister problems in old cars (showing my age now) so it was sorted. turned out to be some white wires at the instument panel at the front.
Whilst sorting this I stripped back the insulation of the loom and found a thick red wire with a white stripe had been deliberatly cut extended and then taped up, What is it? it must be on the charging side as its a thick wire, and why would it be deliberatly cut? is ther a mod I don't know about or is it a common problem. My thoughts are that if its only a wire to the amp guage I could do away with it completely and only have a charge lamp. it seems daft to run extra wires up and down the boat just for a guage or, am I missing the point. Any thiughts.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: electrical problems

It sure would help to know things like Make, Model, and Year of your engine.

dazid1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mid 70s 3.0 mercruiser, the engine is from another source, and has the same pin missing from the multiplug, this can't be a coincidence.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't have that manual available right now, but as I recall the Red/white wire was for an Amp meter on the dash. Back then some used the amp meter instead of a volt meter to show how much it was charging.