Electrical Problem

gt5001968

Cadet
A friend of mine wired my battery up backwards on my 1973 Johnson 50hp Hydraelectric drive, I was just wondering if anyone knows what all he might have fried?

vogs01

Recruit
Re: Electrical Problem

I have a 1974 Evinrude 70 hp Triumph model 70473. I was charging the battery and left the key in the run position. Now the 20 amp fuse keeps blowing. What did I screw up?

vogs01

Recruit

Originally posted by russeller:<br /> does it start ?
No. WHen you put a new fuse in and turn the key, the new fuse blows.

gt5001968

Cadet

I changed the 20amp fuse holder cuz no one up here had the small fuses for it, now it starts, but I can barely get up to 5 mph! I was having the same problem with the fuse, but it will start.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you hook the battery up backwards 9 out of 10 times you will blow the rectifier, if you did you better change it or you may burn up the stator, rectifier is fairly cheap the stator is mega bucks, fire it up and see if it is charging the battery, if not check the rectifier. Hooking up a battery charger backwards or using jumper cables will do the same thing

gt5001968

Cadet

Ok, it fires up and runs great, but I can't use the electric choke, I have to choke it manually or I blow the fuse instantly!

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well then check for the short in the choke circuit.<br /><br />Paul

gt5001968

Cadet

Thanx reload, but thats not it, he blew the rectifier! I just ordered one and it will ber here tomorrow!

blgrams

Seaman Apprentice

Check the "hot" wire between the power box and the electric choke and make sure the ground at the electric choke is secure I was blowing the same fuse recently when ever I used the electric choke and found the "hot" side was (in my case a purple wire) grounded between the relay in the power box and the electric choke itself. reinsulated the wire and off I went. that wire runs real near all the control arms on the motor which provides an excellent opportunity to wear through the insulation.<br /><br />Bruce