Electrical Problem

soccs11

Cadet
Hello all. I recently installed my Garmin Fish Finder that my kids gave me last Christmas. I had some issues with the electrical connection. The easiest way for me to get power to this fish finder was to purchase a cigarette connector and plug it right into the dashboard. I wasn't too thrilled as to how it looked with all that excess wire all over the dash. By the way; it was working just fine using it that way. So I thought why not connect it to the same cigarette lighter wires below the console to hide all that excess wire. I was going to piggyback the wires from the fish finder to the wires for the cigarette lighter and keep the lighter port functional. Then I thought that I would never use the cigarette lighter port on the dash; so I disconnected the lighter port from below and just used those wires for the fish finder. It was all working perfectly well. I used it a few days ago and when I left the boat, I took the fish finder with me. I capped the electric plug for the fish finder with the waterproof cap that it comes with. Yesterday I was taking my kids out on the boat and the outboard motor would not start. Everything else electrical was working, but no engine start. I checked the battery and it was fully charged. I went under the console and found that the large bundle of wires had a charred mark at the wire connector and one wire, a black one, had melted. I called Sun Tracker and they said to take it to an authorized dealer to get it fixed under warranty. I dropped it off this morning and told the service manager what I had do with the electric for the fish finder. He told me that it could have something to do with the situation that I am having. Any thoughts on this? I don't think this service company wants to put it through warranty. I am very confused as to how he thinks that one thing had anything to do with the other. Attached is a picture of the burnt connector. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks.

Attachments

• 13473.jpeg
    13473.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I dropped it off this morning and told the service manager what I had do with the electric for the fish finder. He told me that it could have something to do with the situation that I am having. Any thoughts on this? I don't think this service company wants to put it through warranty. I am very confused as to how he thinks that one thing had anything to do with the other. Attached is a picture of the burnt connector. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks.
You're house burns down. You tell the firemen you don't know what happened other than your where playing with matches yesterday.
How would you not try to relate the two incidences?

Burnt connectors are almost always loose connections in the form of cold solder joints, loose connections and or damaged pins or wires.

Molex connectors and pins are not robust to say the least.
Where you pulling on/messing around with any of the wires in that bundle?
What is the red wire with the fuse holder connected too?

soccs11

Cadet
Not sure what the red wire with the fuse holder is going to. I don't have the boat with me. It's at the repair shop. I didn't go anywhere near that bundle of wires when I connected the fish finder. I only removed the connector right under the cigarette lighter port and used those wires for the fish finder.