Electrical Problem 90 Optimax

archersfin

Recruit
2006 Optimax 90 HP S/N 1B386366
Tried to go fishing yesterday and motor was hard to start and keep running. Keeps dieing, so pulled the cowling to have a look. Motor seems to be running on just 2 cylinders. Pulled the plugs and the bottom plug is wet #2 is damp and #1 or the top cylinder is good color.
Swapped the plugs around to see if the problem followed and it did not. The bottom plug is still wet. Gave up and went home for the day. Went back today to try and diagnose again, tried to start motor and it would not even fire at all. Cranks fine. Pulled the plugs and all three are wet. Checked for spark and none of them have spark.
Pulled the fuse holder off and found the coil fuse was blown. Put in a new fuse and tried to start again, nothing., Pulled the fuse out and blown again. I am at a loss as to what can cause this. Can bad coils be the culprit?
Tomorrow I will go to the boat and replace the fuse and just turn on the ignition without trying to start it and check the fuse again to see if it blows.
Any help would be appreciated.
My boat does not set for very long without use. I bought it new in 2008 and have close to 500 hrs on the motor. didn't know they were selling me a new 2006 Motor till I cross ref the serial no

archersfin

Recruit
Re: Electrical Problem 90 Optimax

Just an update on the Optimax if anyone is interested.
Called Merc Tech support and talked to them about the problem. They assured me it was a shorted coil that was blowing the fuse. Looked up the SN of motor in Service Bullitin and it was covered. All i had to do was take it back to dealer and the coils and labor was covered. No cost to me.
It don't get any better than that. I had the mechanic pull the hours on the motor and had 836 hrs on it. I don't let it sit long without using it. Bought this motor new and have had NO trouble out of it till now. Pretty good if you ask me.
See Ya!