Electrical Power Dips

netzoe

Recruit
I have a 91 Cobalt with a Mercruiser I/O, on occasion the volt meter will begin to drop, especially if I turn on alot of electronics. Sometimes it will bounce rapidly between 10 and 15, even stalls the engine on occassion. I've cleaned all the battery connections, whats the next step. New battery, check alternator, some type of regulator?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Electrical Power Dips

Ahoy, netzoe. You either have an intermittent connection somewhere in your charging system, or an intermittent short circuit somewhere in your electrical load. Start with all electrical loads off. If you have the problem look for a loose connection or a bad regulator. If no problem, add one load at a time until the problem appears, then turn off everything but the last one and start tracing wires.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JB's right, an hopefully i can narrow it down a bit. mercruiser uses a large rubber plug on the engine to hook up all the little wires[like oil press voltmeter, tachometer]....the pins in these connectors corrode an give horrible intemittent problems...next time you have motor runnin , go wiggle/twist the connector if it misses, you got yer problem...open it up and clean it.[unhook battrey first]

netzoe

Recruit

Thanks for all the help you guys! I will try your approach and hopefully find the problem. I will try your methods first, but I was told it is possible the problem is with a bad regulator. Is this consistent with a bad regulator, and how would I determine if that is the problem. Thanks again.