Electrical Connectors for Battery Box

Demonical

Seaman
I'm buying a small fish-finder, and I'm going to rig up a small, portable, waterproof battery box for it.

I'm going to install a small Lithium Iron Phosphate battery, to power the fish-finder.

I want this to be portable, with easy quick connect power cables.

In searching through electrical power terminals, most common connector I'm seeing is a plug similar to a 12v socket.

Are these waterproof? Are they dependable?

Reason is, this is for a kayak. So this thing is definitely going to get wet, and take some abuse.

Any suggestions, advice will be appreciated!

Thnx! Jim

Demonical

Seaman
I want some type of socket that is plumbed into the waterproof battery box, that's nice and neat, solid and obviously sealed and water-tight, that accepts some type fitting, which also mates up nice and tight, and waterproof.

Those connectors look fine, but I don't see any socket type part these, that would fit in the battery box.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Demonical, I understand what you're wanting, but being in a kayak means it is susceptible to turning over and everything getting wet. And for that reason, your Fish Locator has to be totally water-proof as well. So what is your plan to keep the actual fish finder unit dry and water-proof? :noidea:

There are lots of waterproof type connections. If you want to go really high tech, look at some ITT Cannon, Amphenol, GlenAir or even Deutsuch Circular type plugs or so many other Mil Spec plugs and receptacles. They are very waterproof and you an even buy them in chassis mountable types as well. It all depends on how water-proof you are looking for. JMHO

Demonical

Seaman
Ok, the fish-finder I'm planning on getting is the Garmin Striker 4DV. Waterproof? Doubtful. Probably water resistant.
Capsizing the boat isn't really in my plans. Haha!

Gonna use the GPS function to map out the river system, where I fish (walleyes).

bruceb58, the type connector used on that Pelican is the type of thing I'm looking for.

Ging into Edmonton on Tues, hopefully the marine supply store there will have something like that.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Ok, the fish-finder I'm planning on getting is the Garmin Striker 4DV. Waterproof? Doubtful. Probably water resistant.
Capsizing the boat isn't really in my plans. Haha!
It's not bad...Look at IPX7

Demonical

Seaman
Learn somethin' every day I reckon...

So I've got it figured on a Marinco 2-prong plug n socket, if the marine supply store has 'em, or maybe a Seadog 2-pin connector.
But it's just all about what they stock.

fishrdan

Admiral
I would go with the waterproof SeaDog since the receptacle is a molded 1-piece unit. It should be far more waterproof than the Marinco receptacle that could leak through the pin connections, if the box gets submerged. I know my Marinco 12/24 receptacle would leak like a sieve through the pins, if it were mounted in a sealed box and dumped overboard.

Seal the receptacle to the box with 3m 5200 (or 4200) and you should be good to go.

Demonical

Seaman
Pretty sad day at the marine supply store. The store I hit carry almost nothing, and clearly are not concerned about parts.

Then I went to Cabelas, who were supposed to have my Garmin 4DV. Nope. Nothing.

Came home and went to Amazon, which I guess I should've done all along.

So my stuff will arrive. Sometime.

Demonical

Seaman
Well just a followup post...

I had my battery box all wired up. Seemed 'decent'. Then I drowned my kayak! Haha!

Anchored it in strong current and got all messed up. Boat ended up capsized and anchored to the bottom of the river. It was 95% submerged for 4 hours, and by the time I got it out, and recovered stuff off the boat, I realized there was ZERO chance that the El-cheapo, Plano ammo box was gonna be okay, as a 'waterprooof' battery box.

I went and got another Plano, but this time an actual waterproof case.

I've got everything rewired, sealed up, but still waiting on my Garmin Striker 4DV. Have not had a chance to try drowning this new equipment! Haha!

Oh... and I've also realized I need a better boat (or a different hobby)...