Electric Winch vs Manual Winch

Fishin23

Cadet
I have to replace my winch and was wondering what the preferred winch is? I have a 2000 lb. boat plus motor and fuel. Thanks.

reelfishin

Captain
Re: Electric Winch vs Manual Winch

Any good manual winch will do fine, those with a double row of gear teeth are the strongest.
I never go with the electric winches, they are slow, they require adding a high amp power lead and outlet to the rear of your truck which also limits the use of that trailer to that truck unless all of your vehicles has the same outlet added, if the winch fails, and they usually do at the worst possible times, the manual handle that they come with requires that you crank against the gearing in the winch, which is about five times harder than with a standard manual winch.
A 2000 lb boat is light, any decent manual winch will do fine.

Another thing I don't like about most electric winches is that they are clutch type winches, if the clutch is wet or rusty it can slip and not allow the winch to hold the load while still on the ramp, (read: boat slides backwards the minute you let off the switch, had one do that to me today, that winch is in the scrap heap after only two years).

If I feel I need an electric winch, I would probably go with a small, non boat trailer type of winch, one with a remote control, positive clutch and an open spool. They seem to hold up much better.

rndn

Commander

Stick with manual. I wait all the time at the launch while some schmuck takes out his wires, hooks them up, and then tries to figure out why it is not working. Once he finally gets it working he then proceeds to winch his boat 1 foot to the end. It's not worth the trouble.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree. back in deeper. extend the tongue. with that money.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'd have to agree to go with a manual for a boat of that weight. I've got electric on mine (#5200) which is a blessing at times (no water, flat ramp) but it can also be a pain since I have to mess with the electric every time.

I thought about going back to manual until I left my cable at home and had to winch the boat back on the trailer by hand. If my boat was lighter and easier to manage I’d go back in the heart beat.

reelfishin

Captain

I have one trailer that has an electric winch, I got tired of not having the right vehicle that had the winch hook up on it and put a battery box on the tongue.
I also added a positive battery stud so that I can power it with jumper cables in the event that the trailer battery wasn't charged. It can be run with a jumper box that way.

The electric winch is slow, noisy, and super hard to crank by hand in the event of no power or a motor failure.
There's no way I would go out and buy one. If it dies, I'll hang a manual in it's place. That trailer is for boats in the 21 to 25' range, I have manual winches on all of my other trailers, even the 28'.