Electric start

okiecarp

Cadet
Could someone tell me what it would cost to add<br />electric start to a small motor? Probably a 8 or <br />9.9 hp mercury. Can a "knownothing" like me add the components without much trouble?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Electric start

IF there is a kit available, AND it can be put on your motor, it will run about $300, including a battery.<br /><br />But not all motors have the room, mounting setup, or flywheel needed to have electric start.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

You would generally find more available for a 9.9 than an 8.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If its not a newish motor, its probably not worth it... if its just a second hand job.. your better off looking for a unit that already has electic start.<br /><br />Thats what I found when lookin into it myself..<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Oakie<br />Where you fishin for carp at?a type of fishing ive never really done but know a few places where there are many carp and good sized ones at that.

okiecarp

Cadet

I don't fish for carp. LOL. I just wanted a fish name and all the good fish names were taken. There is no shortage of carp water in Ok.. All the lakes and rivers are full of them. Just chum with canned corn then put some on your hook and hang on.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

will keep that in mind next time i go to flatrock, or billy creek.

phatmanmike

Captain

okie, i have a 14 hp evinrude( same as 9.9/15) and , yes , i know you have a merc, but maybe this will help a lil, anyways, at least with my evinrude, i can simply purchase the starter and its already got the spot on the side of the block to bolt it on. check your block to see if you have these provisions near the flywheel. and it also depends alot on if the factory ever offered that hp rating with electric start, as they did with my 14 hp evinrude. if its possible, youll need <br />(1) starter<br />(1)set good thick cables for running to starter<br />(1)good battery, one that can take the dischareges over and over , since youd have to charge it at home..<br />(1)selonoid<br />as for the key switch, you could always just run a seperate pos+ wire from batt to selonoid with a momentary Push style button, usually red, for the starting functions, as this is how i have my 16 foot cc wired, and it works great, and i never lose the key ! :)