electric shift problem

ryangrady

Cadet
I have a 1974 OMC sterndrive. The engine is the 165hp inline 6 cylinder, and runs great. The boat is equiped with electric shift which worked fine until the last time I took it out. THe boat was in forward and after about a half hour it started to slip in and out of gear. Eventually it would not go into forward at all, but reverse works normally. I am confident that the problem is electrical and contained to the outdrive. Does anyone have experience replacing the gear/electromagnet assembly in the lower gearcase? Does the entire sterndrive need to be disassembled in order to do so? What would a reasonable price be to have this work done proffesionally? Thanks for the help.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: electric shift problem

Hi,<br />sorry no one has been able to help - if you do a search a similar question was asked and addressed not long ago.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I had my 1975 electric shift outdrive replaced in 1979 with a cable shift outdrive. It kept breaking the forward electromagnetic slinky and no one could fix it. Try to find an independant outdrive repair shop in your area. You shouldn't have too much problem in SB. Boat dealers are so far away from those outdrives that there is probably no one left at them who know anything about them.

Ron Everson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 1975 OMC has an electric shift. The switch at the shift/throttle lever quit the 1st year I had the boat. Switch and short cable approx $165.00 parts only. The electromagnets in the lower unit were fine when I took it apart and resealed it 4 or 5 years ago. You can separate the lower unit from the intermediate unit. You have to disconnect the cable - it separates just behind the motor - and then pull it off along with the lower unit. It wasn't all that tough to take the lower unit apart. You need a few special tools that I was able to fab or borrow. I wouldn't try it without the OMC service manual as a guide. Once you have the unit apart, replacement of the magnet or any other part would be relatively easy. Seaway Marine in Seattle has all the oem parts for a pretty penny. If you're not up to tearing into it, find a marine mechanic and loan him your service manual if he doesn't have one and give him Seaway Marine's no. for parts if he doesn't already have it. I've always bought the service manuals for the old oatboards that I've had and also the 1975 225 OMC. I've always loaned my parts and service manuals to the few marine mechanics that have worked on my motors - heck, they can't remember everything! I know a couple of them appreciated it.

ryangrady

Cadet

Thnks for all of the advice, I think that I'll try to tear into it myself. I've done lots of work on cars and a little on some outboards so this is the most in depth boat project I've taken on so far. I picked up the Clymer shop manual and it seems pretty good. If anyone has any other advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron Everson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can buy the OMC service, parts, and owners manual for your OMC I/O from Ken Cook Co. in Milwaukee, phone no. 414-466-6060. I've bought all of the books from them for all of the old Johnson and Evinrude outboards that I've had, along with the books for my 1975 225 OMC I/O. They beat those other books hands down. They're not cheap, but they're worth it. Just give them your model and serial no.<br /><br /> Ron

DHPMARINE

Captain

Was anything done just before you took her out that last time?<br />DHP

Greasie

Cadet

I had the same problem about 5 years ago but mine cut out at 3000 rpm, then cut in. Ripped the motor mounts right out of the hull!!! Could have been a disaster but the transom seal held. Any hoo, the electric switch in the throttle / shift assy pooped out and made intermittent contact. Found one at a boat graveyard for $20.00.<br /><br />While at the harbor last year, got to talking with the owner of a twin to my boat - 1974 Slickcraft 235 with OMC 225 - who had the same problem. His fix was to install a ON/OFF/ON switch on the dash board in place of the internal switch to shift from F N R. You have to be VERY CAREFUL to drop the RPM to idle before changing the switch position. Cost: $3.45.

ryangrady

Cadet

To answer some questions, no, nothing was done to the boat before this problem occured. I'm fairly sure the problem is not in the shift control box. I took that out of the system and tried to shift by putting 12v straight to the shift wires at the disconnect on the transom, reverse worked but forward did not engage. I really wish that it was an electrical problem up front, but it looks like a problem in the lower gearcase. thanks for all the advice and if anyone has more tips they are greatly appreciated.