electric outboards pro & cons

starrider_68

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I live near a fair size set of lakes but they wont allow gas outboards. I have seen some storys on "electric outboards" and was wondering how well they work. In these lakes a "trolling" moter just wont hack it. I have just recived an old "jon boat" from a friend....A little abused but serviceable. Looking to take this on the lakes and "scoot" about w/ the kids. Wife 3.0 wants to help but neither of us have seen / used an electric outboard, and I am an electrician! Your help in this WILL be appricated.

starrider_68

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: electric outboards pro & cons

JB just checking...am I in the right spot? If not let me know...Thanks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Scooting about" is often frowned upon on no-gas-engine lakes, Starrider, and "electric outboards" use up even big batteries very fast.<br /><br />I would think about a good set of oars or an efficient electric troller, or both.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I always thought that the perfect scooting about tool is a sail.

18rabbit

Captain

You could do what the military is doing. Probably fit right between the regulation and really **** off the park police. The vehicles that are replacing the hum”v” are electric and very quiet. They have an electric motor on each of the four wheels. No drive train, no axels. You would have an electric motor on your boat to scoot about with. Then there is a small diesel engine inside the vehicle to turn the charging system that constantly feeds power to the batteries that supply the motors. You could have a small gas generator to constantly feed your battery. Might even name a new law after you. :D

starrider_68

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Scooting might be the wrong word...but I have tried 2 diffrent trolling motors and neither seemed to do very good. I have 4 golf cart 6v. batt. on board and they seem to last quite a while. but even with 2 of those trolling motors it takes @ 1/2 hour to cross to the half way point of the larger lake. (largest lake is apx 85 ac.) the reason for asking is because the owner of the land I will be accessing the lake from says no gas motors. Plus i would like to make this thing into a floating duck blind.

ZmOz

Captain

Electric outboards just aren't practical. In order to have any kind of range you would need to have enough batteries to sink your boat. You'd need at least 4 batteries (8 golf cart batteries) for that 3hp briggs - and only about an hour run time. Not to mention it cost $2,000. It would be cheaper to higher an immigrant to row for you. :D

ndemge

Commander

"No Gas Motors"<br /><br />How's he feal about Diesel? :) <br /><br />....Jet Propultion?...real jet, not water.<br /><br />Hm.... CO2 Tank powering a Pneumatic motor...<br /><br />too much coffee, must get back to work.<br /><br />Ditch the batteries, get yourself some H2 and a Fuel Cell