Electric food peelers, what next?

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class
I saw an advertisement for an electric food peeler for carrots and potatoes and such and I had to wonder, how hard is it to manualy peel a carrot or potato the old fashioned way? If my grandmother had seen this she would have laughed at it. I guess I'll stick with my grandmother. PDS.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Electric food peelers, what next?

A lot of people with arthritis have a hard time doing these things and opening a jar is almost impossible.<br />Picking coins up is next to impossible when you can't move your fingers tight enough together to grip things.

ob

Admiral

Lots of those do-dads been out for decades.Ronco comes to mind.Most of the ones we have recieved as gifts over the years are collecting dust in a lower kitchen cabinet.Never know,I might need em some day. ;)

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh, I wasn't picking on people with arthritis. They could use something like this. What I ment was for the common people that don't have any problems, but just want to make their life easier.<br /> I guess I know too many people that think a little technology is a good thing, a lot of tech. is a better thing(Parking 10 feet away from the entrence to store is better than 40 feet) even though walking is not a problem for them.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I hear ya PDS, I have seen this myself and wonder. :confused: :confused: :confused:

one more cast

Captain

I have rheumatoid arthritis and I use them new strap wrenches to open jars. I still prefer to peel taters the old fashioned way but I need large handled knives and sometimes I still have a hard time peeling them. Maybe I should check out them electric peelers.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I always wonder about the overweight people in the electric carts at WalMart.<br /><br />Or those that vie for a close parking place at the gym. Or take the elelvator up to the gym.<br /><br />Maybe this belongs in the irony thread?<br /><br />Ken

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

OMC- have you seen the Black & Decker Auto/Electric Jar opener?? <br /><br />
p36222z.jpg
<br /><br />.. I picked one up for my parents for Christmas this year and they love the thing I guess. <br /><br />Some of these new gadgets really come in handy for some folks.<br /><br /> Black & Decker Appliances

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

People actually peel potatos and carrots?<br /><br />I just send them though the dishwasher, cleans and par-cooks them all in one step.<br /><br />Next you'll be telling me I need an apple corer. When teaching yourself not to bite into the core is much more practical and wastes less of the apple.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

The true definition of "Labor Saving Device"--<br /><br />Something that takes 3 times longer to find and clean up than it takes to use.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Bart Sr.:<br /> The true definition of "Labor Saving Device"--<br /><br />Something that takes 3 times longer to find and clean up than it takes to use.
Yup... wifey has a shelf or two ful of them... used once or twice and then sit and collect dust.<br /><br />Mr. Popeal (sp?) has become a rich man selling this crap.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Mmm! maybe we'll soon experience the ease of using an electric knot tying gizmo :D

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Elmer Fudge:<br /> Mmm! maybe we'll soon experience the ease of using an electric knot tying gizmo :D
I could go for that.... an automatic snelling machine!<br /><br />The irony of that one is that the machine would cost more than 10 years worth of hooks.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> People actually peel potatos and carrots?<br /><br />I just send them though the dishwasher, cleans and par-cooks them all in one step.<br /><br />Next you'll be telling me I need an apple corer. When teaching yourself not to bite into the core is much more practical and wastes less of the apple.
You actually do this? Do you put the taters and carrots in with detergent along with your dirty dishes or just hot water and no other dishes in there - just taters and carrots?

ndemge

Commander

I can't be the only one thinking this is actually a really good idea :) <br /><br />I wonder if you put lemon juice in the detergent despensor if a dishwasher couldn't be used to steam salmon, with the electric dry and water pre-heat, these things get HOT!<br /><br />...wife hates salmon, bet she would kick my arse if I tried it.

mattttt25

Commander

i'm waiting for the automatic boat washer.

one more cast

Captain

Barlow, I've seen them jar openers but I try to do as much as can without using aids. I went to an RA support group once and everyone was in wheel chairs. They could all walk but opted to take the easy way. Then and there I decided that I would fight this disease with everything I had to not to end up like them. They gave up, I will not. I have a handicap pass for my vehicle but only use it when I need to. On days when I feel good I park out aways and enjoy the walk.

ob

Admiral

Originally posted by mattttt25:<br /> i'm waiting for the automatic boat washer.
He wasn't electric,but my voice activated 18 year old boy use to do a fine job.<br /> :D

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class

One more cast: I feel for you and I like your style. The more you can do for yourself, the better you will feel about yourself. If you can't walk that extra 30 feet for good reason, then don't. A bad example: A guy I used to know would drive his girlfriend in her car to the store and park in the handycapped spot and send her in to do the shopping(she needed crutches just to walk, not him)and he would sit in the car while she shopped. He was an ****. I know he is long gone, I just hope she is still around.PDS