Electric Engine Conversion?

rossman21

Seaman Apprentice
I overheated and seized my Sport Jet 175. Instead of replacing the motor which is now becoming very difficult to find, I am thinking of converting to complete electric.

I have a 16 foot Sea Rayder Jet Boat - has anyone made such a conversion?

Thanks!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The weight of all the batteries needed to have a run time of more than 5 minutes, would likely sink the boat

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I overheated and seized my Sport Jet 175. Instead of replacing the motor which is now becoming very difficult to find, I am thinking of converting to complete electric.

I have a 16 foot Sea Rayder Jet Boat - has anyone made such a conversion?

Thanks!
you will find that the battery pack required to run the boat for anything more than a few minutes will be more than your hull is rated to carry as far as a load.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Love the engineering aspirations of the idea…but the reality for most might not end so well. Jet boats are fundamentally very inefficient and high reccing by nature. Any thoughts on the efficiency of current professionally made electric crafts currently can be expected to double on a jet boat, I’d think.

harringtondav

Commander
Same as above. State of art EV battery technology weighs about 10 lb per kWh. 13.4 lb per hp. Do the math. 100 hp battery capacity weight exceeds my 250 hp boat's rated weight capacity.