Electric Choke

So, I'm in the last phase of buying a 1986 Invader with a 175HP OMC I/O and the only thing that is visibly wrong is that when we start it we have to hold down the carb flaps. Then it runs really well. The owner states that the electric choke needs to be replaced. I am not mechanically inclined. Could you please let me know what I will be looking at to replace this? How much money and is this something I can do myself? I called the local boat repair shop and they told me to count on $300-$400. This seems too high. Again, your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Torin

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Electric Choke

It depends upon what is actually bad with the choke. I don't know if you can buy just the electric element. It is an easy replacement IF that is your problem.

You might be able to rig up a manual choke as an alternative.

dr_bowtie

Petty Officer 1st Class

what carb is on it....

there are several carbs on boats and if it is the GM carb then the electric choke plate is only 20.00...

you can get it at any auto parts store...there are different rates on the opening part and they can vary from 20.00-40.00 depending...

I use 83 Camaro ones for all my Rochester 2GC and Quadrajet carbs I rebuild...

here is a link to the GM one

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Choke-Thermostat-GP-Sorensen_5012155-P_274_R|GRPCARBAMS____

This is what I have found as to what type of carb it is:

OMC/VOLVO 4.3L 1986-89 Manufacturer Code: R2
Carburetor Model: 2GE

Not sure where to go from here. What is the worst case scenario as far as money goes to fix it? In your opinion, should this problem keep me from buying a 2000.00 boat?

dr_bowtie

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats the Rochester carb....

I edited my original post with the fix...31.00

the wire to the choke should be hot when the key is on...always

simple fix and no this should not keep you from buying a boat...simple fix...

all you have to do is learn how to install and set the choke assembly...

if yours has the notch in it them pull it off and take it down to the loal auto parts store and cross reference the number...like I said the part is cheap...

Thanks for all of your replies. Looks like I can get this part locally. Thanks for the link and explanation dr_bowtie. This forum is so great! Again, much appreciated!