elec. shift w/o neutral

files1

Recruit
First off this site is a definite help. I have a 71johnson hydra-electric shift 50 hp.,My problem is the lower unit not shifting into,or being able to start in neutral. It will go into forward and reverse back and forth with no problem,so the electric solenoid appears to be working in that respect.It just wont pop into neutral so i can start it in water. HELP :>{

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: elec. shift w/o neutral

Your problem is that you're not getting power to the neutral solenoid ( or the solenoid isn't working ) In your engine, there are two wires that operate the shifting mechanism. 1st... The lower unit is spring loaded into fwd gear. 2nd... the first wire, ( when powered ) shifts into "N" 3rd... the second wire ( when powered ) shifts into "R". TRY THIS... 1)Disconnect the two wires that lead to the lower unit.( there should be two bayonet style connectors. 2) turn on the key ( dont start the engine ) 3) With the engine in FWD there should not be 12 volts to either of the two wires. 4) with the engine in "N" there should be 12 volts to one of the wires. 5) With the engine in "R" both wires should have 12 volts. 6) If this is all working, then your problem is in the lower unit. (SEE YOUR DEALER ) do not attempt to disassemble this lower unit. You will only damage what little remains. ( Good luck ! )

files1

Recruit
Re: elec. shift w/o neutral

Thanx o rabid one. I will put it to the test.hopefully its not the lower unit. D.