elec problem, omc 3.0 liter

mickey1

Seaman Apprentice
hello everybody, after installing a brand new crate engine, something is killing the batteries, in the troubleshooting phase i find i have only 3 volts at idle out of the alternator, maybe 4 or 5 volts at 1000 rmp.i also found out i can start the engine with the battery switch OFF. with fully charged batteries i can start on 1 or 2 position but after multiple starts can only start in both position. i have checked all the connections multiple times and im positive everything is correct. as far as the battery switch goes i did not touch that and i dont know if it would start in the off position prior to the engine change. could that switch be shorted internally, killing the batteris and lowering the alternator output

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: elec problem, omc 3.0 liter

Mickey...really depends on the kind of switch and how it was wired, some boats only have all accessory power going through the switch because it can't handle the high current needed for starting. Are you saying that even if you leave the boat something is dragging your batteries down? Even if the switch was shorted internally that would just mean it's on all the time and that by itself will not kill your batteries, you will have to check for the presence of some kind of a load. If everything in the boat is turned off then should be no load on the battery, you need a multi meter or ammeter to see if current is flowing out of your battery all the time and then go through the process of elimination to find whats causing it.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Step 1 is to replace that switch. If you're sure the wiring is right, there is no way the engine should start when the switch is off. <br /><br />If you're only getting 3 volts out of the alternator, that's another problem. I would not think the switch could have anything to do with that but I could be wrong.<br /><br />Actually---if the switch is intermittently breaking the connection to the batteries when "on" in addition to making the connection when "off" it could very well have toasted the alternator and/or voltage rectifier. Quite possible. Get that switch outta there.

Bondo

Staff member

i have checked all the connections multiple times and im positive everything is correct.
I'm No Where Near Long Island...........<br />But, <br />I Know One Thing........<br />Everything is Not Correct.........<br /><br /><br />Disconnect the Positive battery terminal,<br />attach a light bulb between the Terminal,+ the Wire-end.... The Light will be "On", because Something is drawing power.............<br />Go back + start Disconnecting Everything........<br />One System at a time.......<br />When you get to the Problem,<br />You'll Know....... The Light will Go Out.......... ;) <br /><br />You've got a Serious Short,......SomeWhere........