Eggnog recipe

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys,<br /><br />When I visited your beautiful country in December last year, I was introduced to eggnog. A real treat. This is an unknown in my neck of the woods. Anybody here that can supply me with a good recipe to make my own this Christmas?<br /><br />Thanks

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Eggnog recipe

EGGNOG non alcoholic<br />4 cups half-and-half<br />1 cup heavy cream<br />3/4 cup sugar<br />7 extra-large egg yolks<br />1 tablespoon vanilla<br />Freshly grated nutmeg to taste<br />About 1 cup milk to thin eggnog<br /><br />Accompaniment if desired: dark rum or brandy<br /><br />In a 4- to 5-quart heavy saucepan with an electric mixer beat together half-and-half, cream, sugar, and yolks until combined well. Cook mixture over moderate heat, continuing to beat, until slightly thickened and a thermometer registers 170°F, about 7 to 10 minutes, and remove pan from heat. Continue to beat mixture until slightly cooled and stir in vanilla and nutmeg. Transfer eggnog to a bowl and chill, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 2 days.<br /><br /><br />Just before serving, thin eggnog with milk to desired consistency. Serve eggnog with rum or brandy on the side for guests to add to taste.<br /><br />Makes 7 Cups<br />________________________________________________<br />Alcoholic<br />3 cups whole milk<br />7 large eggs<br />1 cup sugar<br />2 cups heavy cream<br />1/3 cup bourbon<br />1/3 cup Cognac or other brandy<br />1 teaspoon vanilla<br />Special equipment: an instant-read thermometer<br />Garnish: freshly grated nutmeg<br /><br />Bring milk just to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan. Whisk together eggs and sugar in a large bowl, then add hot milk in a slow stream, whisking. Pour mixture into saucepan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture registers 170°F on thermometer, 6 to 7 minutes. <br /><br />Pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve into cleaned large bowl and stir in cream, bourbon, brandy, and vanilla. Cool completely, uncovered, then chill, covered, until cold, at least 3 hours and up to 24. <br /><br />Flavor of eggnog improves when it is made a day ahead to allow alcohol to mellow. <br /><br />Makes about 6 cups.<br />________________________________________________<br />Single serving<br />1 whole egg<br />1 tablespoon superfine sugar<br />Pinch salt<br />1/4 teaspoon vanilla<br />1 cup milk<br />Nutmeg<br /><br />Beat the egg with the sugar and salt and pour into a 10-ounce highball glass. Add vanilla and milk and stir to mix. Grate a little nutmeg on top.<br />________________________________________________<br />KENTUCKY EGGNOG SPIKE<br />2 cups bourbon<br />1 cup dark rum<br />1 cup brandy<br />1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise<br />1 whole nutmeg<br />2 large cinnamon sticks<br />7 whole cloves<br /><br />Pour bourbon, rum and brandy into 1-quart bottle. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into bourbon mixture; add pod to bottle. Using mortar and pestle or bottom of heavy small skillet, crack whole nutmeg into 4 or 5 pieces. Add nutmeg pieces, cinnamon sticks and cloves to mixture. Cork bottle tightly. Let stand in cool, dark place for 1 week. (Can be prepared 3 months ahead.)<br /><br />Makes about 4 cups

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Lester, just a question, what the heck is half and half?

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rude,<br /><br />Does this help? I got it from: http://www.acs-england.co.uk/cobham/chapter_10.html <br /><br />Half cream - Use it like Half 'n' Half (American product)<br /> <br />And from http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ck_culinary_qa/article/0,,FOOD_9796_1702227,00.html <br /><br />Q: What's the difference between cream and cream products?<br /><br />A: Cream is the high-fat component of milk. All creams in the United States are at least 18 percent milk fat. <br /><br />Lowest on the scale of fat content is half-and-half, a milk-and-cream blend with between 10.5 percent and 18 percent fat.

one more cast

Captain

When I was a kid we just used a cup of milk, 1 egg,a sprinkle of nutmeg and sweeten to taste with sugar.

NYMINUTE

Captain

SBN.... Please send a gallon of each. Sounds like aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh :p :p