Effects on the ones who left...

eeboater

Commander
I haven't really made too many comments on the NO/Katrina threads that have been flying around. But, I thought I'd share a few thoughts after talking with some people who are actually displaced. <br /><br />Our organization actually has a branch office in Metairie, LA. Metairie is a close suburb of New Orleans. The office we have down there is quite a small one, only 2 people. As of right now, we are expecting nothing to be left. If Katrina didn't take it, we're guessing the scum did. <br /><br />As far as the employees are concerned, our rep, Brad, escaped to Florida where his mother-in-law lives and the other employee Sheila lives about 45 minutes north so she wasn't affected that bad. <br /><br />After speaking with Brad, he has heard that his house was under only about 3.5-4 feet of water. Nothing as bad as the other areas in the region, but enough to totally screw his house over. <br /><br />As of right now, he is faced with a dilemma. They are letting people back into his parish (Jefferson Parish) but the issue they are running into is gas-related. There is no gas in Mississippi or Louisiana. He figures he can get from his refuge to his house in LA on one tank, but does not have the ability to re-fill his tank to get back. He is on a waiting list at the local wal mart for some 5 gallon gas tanks. He plans on loading up his trunk with gas and driving back to his home just to see what is left.<br /><br />Sheila says that she is hearing stories that are borderline savage. She lives in a trailer park which, fortunately for her, is set back from the road that the average person driving by cannot see. As a result, she isn't as worried about the theft, rape, and all-around scummyness.<br /><br />So anyway, not sure why I wrote this... but it seems that not many know people who were there... so I thought I'd share what they are going through.<br /><br />Sean

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Effects on the ones who left...

EE, My brother lives in River Ridge(same parish), and we got on the NOAA website where there is a link to satellite images of the area two days after Katrina hit. We were able to see his two vehicles and there was no water in the area. We are supposed to go down there and retrieve his cars and some clothes next week.(if they are still there)Best of luck to your friends, I hope they are able to salvage something.

ehenry

Commander
Re: Effects on the ones who left...

eeboater, tell BRad that the gas situation is loosening up somewhat. It was tough to find gas the first 3 to 6 days after the storm but its really easy now. I drove right up to the pump and filled up today at noon and I'm in the Jackson, Ms metro area. The gas prices are anywhere from $2.50 to $3.00 a gallon depending on where you go. Diesel is readily available too.