Edmund Fitzgerald… interesting video

aspeck

Staff member
20 minute video from the prospective of another captain in the area when the Fitz went down …

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are many videos on ---u-tube---------I used to think they hit bottom.-----I am now convinced it was always twisting too much.-----The storm finished it off.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Haven't watched the vid yet, but I live close to where they left port. The main theory has always been the big ship had more than likely got caught on 2 waves and buckled near the middle. Another theory is some hatches were left open.... But there's all kinds of theories. Not sure they will ever know for sure...

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
I had always heard what Musky stated. The video interview with a Captain of a ship in the area seem to show he thinks it was swamped and went straight down for reasons described in the video, 20 to 25' seas, winds 55 to 70 at the EF location.

dwco5051

Commander
When I was a young lad my dream was to sail on lakes' boats but like most childhood ambitions it never happened though later on I did end up in Uncle Sam's haze gray fleet. Seventy years later I will still sit at my computer late at night and follow them on Vessel Watch but traffic is very llight since the Soo Locks closed a week or so ago. Have read many theories and most are possible if not probable. The only thing that is indisputable is that it failed to displace an amount of water equal to it's weight.

Did enjoy the video, probably the best I have watched to date.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
We see the Arthur M. Anderson, in the vid, in port alot.... At Crisp Point, also referenced in the vid, is a lighthouse that visitors can climb up to the catwalk and walk all the way around. At Whitefish point is The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum. You can watch a vid about the Fitz and there are displays with artifacts from various shipwrecks, including the Fitz. It's pretty neat and eerie at the same time. The wreck of the Fitz song plays in the background.

dwco5051

Commander
We see the Arthur M. Anderson, in the vid, in port alot.... At Crisp Point, also referenced in the vid, is a lighthouse that visitors can climb up to the catwalk and walk all the way around. At Whitefish point is The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum. You can watch a vid about the Fitz and there are displays with artifacts from various shipwrecks, including the Fitz. It's pretty neat and eerie at the same time. The wreck of the Fitz song plays in the background.
A few weeks ago I decided I need a new ringtone for my phone. I started searching the internet and using my music editing software made one of nothing but Masters' Salutes of all different boats plus I also stuck in one of the drawbridge at Duluth answering with there horn. My wife hasn't heard it yet and can't wait until we are in the checkout a Wally World and someone happens to call me. Made the M/V Arthur M. Anderson the first one of the series.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
A few weeks ago I decided I need a new ringtone for my phone. I started searching the internet and using my music editing software made one of nothing but Masters' Salutes of all different boats plus I also stuck in one of the drawbridge at Duluth answering with there horn. My wife hasn't heard it yet and can't wait until we are in the checkout a Wally World and someone happens to call me. Made the M/V Arthur M. Anderson the first one of the series.
That's awesome! 😂

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The Sarnia bridge has a webcam.-----Very impressive to see those " footers " do the " Sarnia slide " entering the river.