Edelbrock or Holley replacement carb?

jmeydenbauer

Seaman Apprentice
I picked up a boat a few months ago that I’ve been working on getting ready for the water and noticed that the carb is pretty rusted. This boat is used in saltwater and the motor is a 351W with a rusted out Holley 4160. I did some investigating and it turns out the carb is a 7yr old remanufactured automotive carb.<br /><br />I’d like to replace the carb with a proper marine carb and would like to know if I should throw another Holley on there or go with an Edelbrock? I was reading another carb thread and there were a lot of good things said about the Edelbrock carburetors. Would you guys recommend staying with a Holley or going with an Edelbock? If I do go with an Edelbrock, will my linkages bolt up the same?<br /><br />I’m not looking to get into a Chevy verse Ford argument here but I know a lot of local places stock Holley parts and I don’t see too many that stock Edelbrock parts. Which ever carb I decide to buy will more than likely be used or rebuilt as this boat is costing me more than I expected it too. I haven’t even got the dang thing on the water yet! I’m sure a lot of you have gone through this though.

Wingnutt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Edelbrock or Holley replacement carb?

I don't know to much about Edelbrock's marine carbs, but I DO know that thier automotive series handles off camber situtations and bumps without dumping raw fuel into the venturies or starving our much better than Hollies do. Given that the attitudes of smaller boats sometimes resemble that of off-road vehicles, I would research the Edelbrock a bit more. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Bondo

Staff member

There are, No Doubt, More Holleys out there, Than Any other Carb...........<br />But, For Me,<br />There's Nothing Easier,+ Cheaper to Work on, than a Carter AFB........<br />This Carb. goes by many names.......<br />Carter ABF..<br />Edlebrock Performer..<br />And the Weber found on Mercruisers..<br />All the Same Carb....<br /><br />Find a Used Merc/Weber on ebay for Under $100.($58.for mine), then throw in a Carter Rebuild kit($25.),+ a Carter Strip Tuning Kit($50.)....<br />All for Less than a New untuned Edlebrock Marine Carb($290.)....... ;)

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The Edelbrock carb is actually a Weber, you could use a model 1409 which has a electric choke and will allow for most common throttle cables, parts are easy to get from Edelbrock and most can be obtained from Merc as well. The edelbrock is more user friendly and is less likely to leak due to a 2 piece casting and a fuel float bowl level below the top half gasket.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Like I said in another post. Edelbrock! Have had a couple Holly's over the years. Holly’s work great when they work but once they go south it never seems like they work right again no matter what you do. Edelbrock marine carb’s are as tough as nails. Easy rebuilds. Got mine off of e-bay for $96.00 and the guy sent a rebuild kit. They are also easy to find. Parts America has rebuild kits if you have them out there.