Edelbrock 1409 Marine Fuel Pump Vent

Status
Not open for further replies.
While no method is preferable, expiring by fire ranks dead last.

When I replaced my 5.0 with a 5.7 Vortec the machinist planted an ancient Edelbrock 1406 he pulled off his shelf on the manifold, and since there's no place for a mechanical fuel pump on the engine, he shoved an electric fuel pump in my hand and said, "Good luck."

I have since installed devices that shut the fuel pump off in the event there's no oil pressure as a first line of defense in avoiding expiration by fire.

I have purchased a new Edelbrock 1409 which has a 1/4" tube/port into the upper section of the secondary's. While the installation manual makes reference to it, it is not shown nor addressed anywhere in the manual.

I've read several muddy threads in several boating forums about the Fuel Pump Vent but they all seem to degenerate into opinion instead of fact. I still have no clue what I'm to do with it or where or what to connect to it..

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo315629.jpg
    photo315629.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 7

Scott06

Admiral
Your mechanical fuel pump that apparently is no longer on this engine would have a 1/4" hose from the fuel pump diaphragm rupture port to here. Since you no longer use the mechanical pump just cover it with a vacuum cap

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Your mechanical fuel pump that apparently is no longer on this engine would have a 1/4" hose from the fuel pump diaphragm rupture port to here. Since you no longer use the mechanical pump just cover it with a vacuum cap

Yep, pretty much what I was going to say....

I had a 3/8" fuel line to the automotive carb installed that kinda interfered with the shift cable linkage on the starboard side because the fuel nipple came straight out the side of the carb and to avoid kinking the fuel line it was necessary to add length so the line curved without restriction. The new carb arrived with no fuel fitting at all, so rather than continue with a bad installation I ordered this fuel line kit. Took the shift linkage out of the picture.

Had to drill out the primary throttle linkage to accept the throttle cable bolt. All in all took about 20 minutes to remove and replace the old carb with the new.

Read 5% bad reviews on the fuel line kit, but I suspect dullards who feel if it can still be turned it's not tight enough had issue with installation as mine went smoothly with no leaks first time. That fuel line part sure cleaned things up in the engine compartment for me as interference with shift linkage has been eliminated.

Took a few seconds of cranking for the fuel to pump up to the carb, but fired up as soon as fuel was available, and idled smoothly.

I appreciate all y'all in this forum for helping out those of us who don't do this for a living.

Thanks,

Attachments

• photo315718.jpg
    photo315718.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 3

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a 3/8" fuel line to the automotive carb installed that kinda interfered with the shift cable linkage on the starboard side because the fuel nipple came straight out the side of the carb and to avoid kinking the fuel line it was necessary to add length so the line curved without restriction. The new carb arrived with no fuel fitting at all, so rather than continue with a bad installation I ordered this fuel line kit. Took the shift linkage out of the picture.

Had to drill out the primary throttle linkage to accept the throttle cable bolt. All in all took about 20 minutes to remove and replace the old carb with the new.

Read 5% bad reviews on the fuel line kit, but I suspect dullards who feel if it can still be turned it's not tight enough had issue with installation as mine went smoothly with no leaks first time. That fuel line part sure cleaned things up in the engine compartment for me as interference with shift linkage has been eliminated.

Took a few seconds of cranking for the fuel to pump up to the carb, but fired up as soon as fuel was available, and idled smoothly.

I appreciate all y'all in this forum for helping out those of us who don't do this for a living.

Thanks,
Hate to bump up an old thread but I'm looking for this exact fuel line kit for my 1409 carburetor. I too have a 3/8 nipple just coming out of the side and I would like to switch to this banjo-style fitting line setup.

Do you remember where you purchased it from?

Scott06

Admiral
Hate to bump up an old thread but I'm looking for this exact fuel line kit for my 1409 carburetor. I too have a 3/8 nipple just coming out of the side and I would like to switch to this banjo-style fitting line setup.

Do you remember where you purchased it from?
Google is your friend google this - edelbrock carb fuel line kit

you will find several options like this and a Sierra fuel line with 90 degree flare fitting that should go all the way to the fuel pump

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Google is your friend google this - edelbrock carb fuel line kit

you will find several options like this and a Sierra fuel line with 90 degree flare fitting that should go all the way to the fuel pump
I know I get bad now. I searched summit racing after making that post and found

So i ordered it from O'Reilly's for in store pickup today lol.

Sorry about bumping the post, i saw after wards that there is a forum rule specific against bumping topics over than 90 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.