Edelbroc 600 Running WAY TOO RICH

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I took advice to start a new topic to get the carb Guru's out of their shells. The Eddy 600 Marine 4bbl that came on my 21' BlueWater appearently was an upgrade for the 5.7L Chevy/Mercruiser over the Quadrajet.
the Carb came with the boat and since 1995 it has offered almost 1000 hours of enjoyment. :D Now that I have the new motor in and with the help of several people on this board I have chased all the ghosts out and came to the conclusion that the fuel thats puddling up around the rear barrels of the 4 bbl and the square shaped open areas on the left and right side of the carb in between the primary and secondaries is not a good thing to be having.

I have added the pics of the carb to give you an idea where fuel has puddled in and the screw driver points to it, and also have shown 2 pics of the plugs. All 8 plugs are identical.

When the motor is at an idle and your in the water, you can actually see exaust collect around the outdrive. Picture an old 2 stroker about where the stream from the outboatd hits the lake water and thats what you have easily.
The motor pulls the boat out of the water deciently, but not as well as it used to and you cant get the rpms, over 4000rpm.

Are there any tips/tricks to look into or is the rebuild for the carb inevitable?

Attachments

• carb1.jpg
    carb1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
  • carb2.jpg
    carb2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 0
  • plug1.jpg
    plug1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • plug2.jpg
    plug2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Edelbroc 600 Running WAY TOO RICH

Have you tried adjusting the fuel / air mixture?

From what I understand Bubba, the Air/Fuel mixture screws are set up for idle to about 1500 rpms. They assist in a transition on Eddy carbs and only really assist in keeping the motor running at lower rpms to accomidate the air/fuel needs of the motor until the butterflies open. Am I wrong?

Also I have toyed with the 2 screws and set them to where they just barely bog the motor then back them off (open) them a half turn. Once again am I wrong in this too?

fishrdan

Admiral

Also I have toyed with the 2 screws and set them to where they just barely bog the motor then back them off (open) them a half turn.

You should adjust the idle mixture screws to get the highest idle (highest vacuum) and then back them out a bit (1/4-1/2 turn) to fatten it back up a bit.

Have you popped the top of the carb to see how full the bowls are, checked the float adjustment. Been years since I ran an Carter/Edlebrock, but from what I remember there shouldn't be fuel in the wells next to the metering rod covers as they were just open cavities. (could be wrong though,, talking 10 years :rolleyes:)

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class

check for trash in the metering rod seats. If they are clear, check you fuel pressure.6-7 is right, more or less will cause problems.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Check your fuel pressure

In my experience that carb is really sensitive to fuel pressure... no more than something like 6 1/2 psi. I had a similar problem. It wasn't dirty or anything, but dropped the fuel pressure a little and it quit pushing gas past the needles. Mine would work down to around 4 1/2 or 5 psi no problem.

Are you running an electric or mechanical fuel pump?

A cheal inline fuel pressure gauge will tell you for sure.

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the problem is solved. My 14 year old carb was the new overall culpret. My floats were set to 1/16" from the top allowing fuel to literally treat my carb like Niagra Falls and with all the lower placed possibilities for fuel to flow out and into the motor I was running extremely rich.

My air valves, and needle jets were also not allowing the proper elements to pass thru them and everything just felt "sticky" when you manually operated the carb off the motor.

An overnight bath in Chem-dip and a rebuild kit from Edelbrock made all the difference. I couldnt believe the crap that was in the bottom of the float bowls either. Its time to add a secondary fuel filter as well.

Thank you all for your help and hopefully I can run into a few of you sometime and thank you in person.

Dave