economic summit/ tort reform

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
did anyone catch the economic summit yesterday<br />where the prez and a panel discussed the need<br />for tort reform in the country?<br /><br />it was a v. scary discussion and showed just how<br />bad the epidemic of lawsuits and rediculous jury<br />rewards is in this country and how it effects<br />everyone.<br /><br />GW was really serious about working on passing<br />new legislation to help this problem. about dang<br />time IMO! give 'em he11 george :)

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: economic summit/ tort reform

DubbaU... You kick the door in... let them know you mean business. :cool:

KaGee

Admiral

But it's not the lawyers who are the problems.... it's all those evil corporations... incompetent doctors, drug companies...etc...etc...etc. Blah, Blah, Blah! <br /><br /> :rolleyes: <br /><br />MY, as much as I like George and as much as I despise what the greedy liberal legal beagles are doing to our country, I am afraid we will end up with more of the same.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

can't blame a guy for trying KG!<br /><br />here's one disturbing fact from the summit;<br />in an independant/annonymous survey of private<br />doctors in the US, 4 outa 5 admitted to doing<br />extra tests on patients that they didn't really<br />think were needed cuz they wanted to cover their<br />behinds in case they were sued.<br />what does that do to the cost of healthcare for<br />all americans?

KaGee

Admiral

I know... I'm with you MY. I believe W really wants to do some reform. I just believe that it's too late... too many obstacles here... not enough support. <br /><br />I wonder what percentage of Congress are lawyers? I'll bet the majority are. They are not going to do any legislation that would do harm to their fraternity brothers... R or D.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> <br />I wonder what percentage of Congress are lawyers? I'll bet the majority are. They are not going to do any legislation that would do harm to their fraternity brothers... R or D.
You hit the nail on the head.<br /><br />Perhaps GW can try to reform, but I dont think congress will ever pass any meaningful laws. They would cut their own throats.<br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have four nurses (one NP, two CRNAs) and two PTs in my family.<br /><br />They tell me that defensive medicine. . . extra tests, pharmaceuticals and surgeries. . . more than double the costs of caring for patients over what sound decisions would cost.<br /><br />Medical malpractice suits are, of course, only part of the litegouging of our country.<br /><br />One thought I have heard: If you sue for a zillion bux and lose, you gotta pay the zillion bux to the respondent. Sounds pretty radical, but there is something attractive about it.

KaGee

Admiral

JB...<br /><br />"Looser Pays" is the last thing these scumbags want to see put into play.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

it's the law in canada... loser pays all court<br />costs. <br />good point JB ;) <br />makes sense that big companies would fight rather<br />than settle cuz it's cheaper.<br />touche'

D

DJ

I could not agree more with the "loser pays" proposal.<br /><br />This countries infactuation with the the lawsuit fascinates me. It's akin to a lottery. It doesn't cost much to try and extract outrageous sums of money from someone/thing and not care whether or not they are indeed guilty.<br /><br />This lawsuit infactuation has even found its way into the military. Soldiers are afraid to do their job. Kill the enemy and break their stuff.<br /><br />I was speaking with my father about this subject the other day. He said. <br /><br />"When we flew a bombing mission in B-24's we many times had two choices. Bullets or gas. The bombload was set and was not negotiable. If I went to my CO and told him I wanted both, he wourld say: "your mission is to deliver bombs to an assigned target, not shoot down enemy planes. If you lose a bomber because you run out of gas, you will be courtmartialed. Does that help you with your decision?"

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I'm with yal' on this one.. Like KaGee and Ken said, the boys (and girls) in congress will shoot it down...

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

The frivolous lawsuits that occur in this country just about drives me nuts. I definately think there should be a cap on the awards that are given to these people. I know he can't do it, but it sure would be nice if the prez could apply a bit of pressure to the oil industry and refineries. We end up with a glut of oil, and we are still paying high prices. Then Opec decides it will be cutting production next year to "stabilize" prices. I was fine with the prices going down, didn't bother me a bit. Fixing that nightmare would help the economy more than anything at this point....