ebay phishing

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
I finally got tired of the spam fake ebay e-mails I would get and reported one today. <br />Here is an excerpt from the reply I received from ebay. Good info.<br /><br /> If you have any doubt about whether an email message is from eBay, please forward it immediately to spoof@ebay.com. Please do not respond to it or click any of the links. Also, we ask you not to remove the original subject line or change the email in any way when you forward it to us. <br /><br />AK Chappy

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: ebay phishing

Yea Chappy, I get them all the time from there plus from paypal also.<br />Just forward them on to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com<br /><br />EDIT: All you have to do is look at the headers and you can tell it's not from ebay or paypal.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I reported them for the first year I was on eBay. <br /><br />Since the volume increased I haven't bothered for the past 18 months. I'd be wasting half an hour some days reporting them.<br /><br />There's probably not much eBay can do about them and there's no sign it has any success in dealing with them. <br /><br />My rule is never click on a link in an email that claims to be from eBay, banks or anywhere else and delete everything that has one without opening it.<br /><br />What worries me is that one day somebody might design an email that grabs stuff off your computer just by arriving there.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wow I just got one from ebay asking to update my info. good thing I read it then closed it. they dont need anything until I wish to buy something

KaGee

Admiral

They never ask for anything like that via E-mail.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what I thought was funny is they asked for the update and if I did not it may hinder my ability for future purchases. I have never bought anything on ebay in my life so I did not reply. I have a policy that if I did not initiate the contact I give out no information.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I know, and some of you also know, that e-bay will NEVER ask you for your password or other info via e-mail. I never answer any of the phishing e-mails. I started this post, so if anyone wanted to know what to do other than "poof" the e-mail.<br /><br />If they can track the ISP where the e-mail originated and the address, maybe that address can be blocked. If they do nothing with it, so be it.<br /><br />AK Chappy

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I like recieving them. I consider myself an Ebay Moderator. I can poof things.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Being in the UK they are REALLY obvious to me as we use ebay.CO.UK and all the spoofs seem to come from ebay.com anyway. I have a particularly vicious way of retaliation against it...<br />I joined a hackers forum...I let them sit on my ISP's email server until I see my mate who's on AOL.AOL users have a rotating IP and can't be traced after a reboot of pc and modem. Every time I receive a few from the same IP I post their IP on the hackers forum for them to play with...