eBay identity theft - frustration

Hey folks, just thought I'd share a little experience I had yesterday.<br /><br />My wife received one of them emails from eBay saying essentially that her email address with eBay has been successfuly changed. <br /><br />When she went onto eBay to check out her account someone had posted a 1966 Corvette Convertible for sale. The cost of the listing charged $150 to my wifes eBay account.<br /><br />What concerned us even more was that this person could have easily gained access to her Paypal account as well, which has bank account information in it, but it doesn't appear yet that they have. But whoever this SOB is, they know where we live, our phone number, our name, etc.<br /><br />Our next step was to contact eBay to notify them of what happened and to close her eBay and Paypal account. (Advice from eBay was to simply change the password on both but that didn't really sit well with either one of us for what I thought were pretty obvious reasons) Incidentally, somebody had already placed a bid on the Corvette.<br /><br />After about 4 hours of "confirming" that yes, we do in fact want to close the account, it was closed. However, it was very difficult and VERY frustrating. *eBay rant* I completely lost my temper yesterday when eBay refused to let me talk to a person. They have NO telephone customer service, only that chat B.S. *sigh* Although, in fairness, if whoever was on chat was able to decipher my temper, I wouldn't have given a phone number out either... I wouldn't have wanted to hear from me.<br /><br />Fortunately my wife saved the email from eBay that told us someone had hacked into her account and changed the email address, etc. In this email was the IP address and ISP address of the SOB who did this. I swiftly reported this incident to the following authority: http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/cf1.asp <br /><br />*I'm doubtful they'll do anything though* <br /><br />However, being in the software industry, I happen to have a couple friends that are good at getting around the net. Here is what I've found out about the SOB:<br /><br />Name: danton-5-82-226-18-21.fbx.proxad.net<br />Address: 82.226.18.21<br /><br />IP Address 82.226.18.21<br />Country (Short) FR<br />Country (Full) FRANCE<br />Region ILE-DE-FRANCE<br />City PARIS<br />ISP PROXAD / FREE SAS (http://www.proxad.net/)<br /><br /><br />I didn't notice until this came back that the IP address and the ISP address were the same. But there ya go. A Frenchy... go figure. My wife will sleep eaiser though, at least this SOB isn't a local who actualy knows where I live and can pay us a visit. *I sent a few less than kind emails to the "new" address.

Re: eBay identity theft - frustration

Heads up: don't go to the website in my post: www.proxad.net<br /><br />The site doesn't open but rather has IE begin downloading something... something that I wouldn't neccessarily trust.

SoulWinner

Commander

Just once I'd like to get my hands on one of geeky but-pipes that pull this crap. It surely would not be one of my finest Chirstian moments.<br /><br />I wonder what the scam was. How would someone benefit from this? Or is it just annoy the user who's account was hacked? I tell you, I'd just love to put a beating on these creeps.

you'll have to get in line. I'm not sure what the scam was but it was pretty elaborate so there must have been some gain for them somewhere along the way.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Basically it looks like more french hiding behind someone else. I mean think about it.