eaton interceptor swap w/ mercruiser?

dka1ser

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I'm new to this part of the forum, used to hang out in Mercury OB's, but just sold it to get a classic 64' chriscraft with a ford 260 V8/eaton outdrive. <br /><br />This outdrive is rather dated (works though) and has no tilt/trim, etc.. I have two questions:<br /><br />1) Could I swap this outdrive with a Mercruiser, without TOO much headache, yes I know it pain and I'm putting a new transom in boat already, so I'm prepared for work. Did mercruiser make drives to fix the ford 260? What all would I need to buy?<br /><br />2) Would it just be better off to swap in a whole mercruiser engine/drive setup? Parts might be impossible to find for the Ford engine (manifolds, risers if they rust out,etc) If so, how hard is it to do an entire swap for engine & drive? Again, I'm not afraid of labor, just have never owned a stern drive before, but many outboards. <br /><br />Thanks in advance for any advice!

tommays

Admiral
Re: eaton interceptor swap w/ mercruiser?

my friend had the same drive and motor on a 16 ft donzi<br /><br />if merc ever used the 260 ford ? you would need everything from the donor boat which means you would still be putting some pretty old stuff back in the boat<br /><br />its hard not to use things like the orginal type of merc exaust manifolds because the way they connect and what might be mounted to them can be very hard to change<br /><br />i would be looking for something with at least a GEN I drive because thers so much of it around<br /><br /><br />tommays

dka1ser

Seaman Apprentice

SO I take it I'm back to where I figured I was, at some point it needs a new engine/outdrive installed. So I should be looking for a Alpha Gen 1, I want to keep the V8 in it, so at least a 305 (888) will do.. <br /><br />Is the swap of a whole engine/drive terribly too difficult? I figure I'll need new motor mounts in the boat, and I want to keep the thru-hull exhaust. <br /><br />Thanks again!

tommays

Admiral

i am trying to point you in the general direction BONDO really knows what will work with what and should be able to give you the best thing to look for<br /><br />what your trying to avoide is a wireing and shifting nitemare by marrying up parts that were not made to work toghter and no one will ever be able to service in the future<br /><br />tommays

Laddies

Banned

We use to service a couple of those Eaton Fords the 221, 260, 289 and 302 engines are all the same family, so there is alot of interchangeing, possible and the bell housing, coupler and transom plate would help you hook up to a Mercruiser, I am not a Ford fan, but you have got to love those pipes--B0b

dka1ser

Seaman Apprentice

I agree, I would prefer a GM block and a Mercruiser. I don't think anything could beat the sound of this engine though. <br /><br />If I were to swap out to a Mercruiser block/drive, can I keep the thru-hull exhaust? That was a big selling point of the boat too!<br /><br />I'll do some research into the 260/302 block compatibiliy and see if Mercruiser mated to one of those over the years. However it will still probably be easier to get a complete engine/drive from an old junk boat.

Laddies

Banned

Yes the 302 ford is the 888 if you can find a later 888 unit it has a longer shift yoke and shifts better or a Alpha I will bolt up to a 888 gimbal assembly, I am not sure if you can but a elbow on the log manifolds, but you could the center exhaust. If you carefully ck out the systems there are alot of parts out there to make a good first rate conversion pretty easily---Bob

dka1ser

Seaman Apprentice

http://www.geocities.com/dka1ser/71_3.jpg <br /> http://www.geocities.com/dka1ser/13_3.jpg <br /><br />Those are two links to pics of the engine / outdrive. <br /><br />There isn't much clearance between the back of the engine and the transom. So what I gather is that I need to get the bellhousing, gimbal assembly(inner/outer?) and an Alpha1 outdrive & trim pump. I like the looks of the "interceptor" on the exhaust manifolds, and would like to keep the vintage engine too. <br /><br />Just bought it, and am going to hopefully enjoy this season as-is, and begin my work this winter, but it sits really high on trailer since the drive isn't tilt/trim equipped and want to make it sit lower on trailer, and I would like to have trim while on the lake also.

Bondo

Staff member

Rather than typing about how what will hook up to which IF, you use them but only if you add those from the other year ,.............. :D <br /><br />
2) Would it just be better off to swap in a whole mercruiser engine/drive setup? <br />I would prefer a GM block and a Mercruiser. <br />If I were to swap out to a Mercruiser block/drive, can I keep the thru-hull exhaust?<br />However it will still probably be easier to get a complete engine/drive from an old junk boat. <br />
Ayuh,...........That's the way it's Done..............<br />Start Hunting the Marina Backlots, SwapSheets, Behind Barns,.... Where ever......<br />Find a boat that has the Driveline you Want...... 350 Alpha1,.. 454 Bravo,... Whatever....<br />Drop the Coin to buy it,+ Strip it Out........<br />That way you have ALL the Little Buck2.98 Items that are Always Needed........<br />The "DonorBoat" for the current Highliner resto is an early 90s Four Winns, 305/Alpha,... About $3500..... <br />Even up to $5000. isn't Bad for the Right Driveline...........<br /><br />If you try to piece it together,..... You'll end up $pending More............ ;) <br /><br />And,......... Depending on the Hull,... There Might be some Value in what's Left.......Sell It.......

dka1ser

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for the grammar lesson, Bondo. <br /><br />Since $5000 and having yet ANOTHER boat is well beyond the price I paid for this boat, there obviously has to be another solution. I don't quite think the wife would approve of purchasing another boat, in order to get one boat to work, although I completely understand your methodology, I have restored a 66' Pontiac GTO and had the luck to be able to strip parts of a donor car at the "junk" yard. <br /><br />So does anyone know for sure if a 888 outdrive setup will bolt to the 260 for sure? I believe laddies is correct about the bolt patterns being the same for small block Fords of that vintage. <br /><br />What about a volvo outdrive? I heard somewhere that volvo bought out Eaton at somepoint, and their drives were similar and thus swaps might be easier. I don't really have a prefernce beyond adding tilt/trim and perhaps being able to service the outdrive in the future, eaton parts are apparently next to impossible to find. <br /><br />However, I will keep my eyes peeled for a good donor boat with full V8 mercruiser drive already.

tommays

Admiral

volvo married omc<br /><br /> merc is pretty much the only thing your going to find a lot of on a regular basis which helps with the price<br /><br />ebay is a good place to see whats there and how much<br /><br />you have to have a COMPLEATE transome and sterndrive (the trim pump ,shift interrupt,the wireing to make the shift work right ECT,ECT) when people have them in good condition and all the bits and pieces you may not be happy with the price<br /><br />tommays

Bondo

Staff member

Merc. used the 302,+ the 351Ws back in the Late 70s........<br /><br />That would be the 888 drives.... But, That leaves you with a 35 year old engine that Wasn't all that popular Then.........<br />And,.. The Accessories on Your motor won't tie into the Merc. very well,.. so you'll be Swapping All That Too...........<br /><br />What you want to do IS Possible.........<br />But,...... Not Very Practical...............

dka1ser

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not saying that this is the most practical, I agree, and right off the bat I said newer engine/outdrive is probably best and easiest, but I'll have to find the right donor boat for UNDER $3500. I don't mind an older mercruiser setup, i don't need 1990's. <br /><br />However, If i did do a "swap" on outdrives, what accessories on my current engine wouldn't work? If i'm just pulling the outdrive and such off, the engine will be the same. It only has an alternator on it anyways. <br /><br />Again, this is my first stern drive, I'm rather mechanically enabled, and I appreciate your advice. I still figured a total swap would be easiest, not knowing that mercruiser used ford blocks at some point.

Laddies

Banned

Bondo, we all know how to throw money at a boat, if you don't understand what he is asking or trying to do. Try going to another post, your sarcasm certainly don't help the man with any anwsers. I know of a 188 with less than 200 hrs on it, with the boat and trailer that sold for $800 not a lot of those deals around, but there are some. Give him a break---Bob

tommays

Admiral

the weak link in the eaton was the clutch dog as i remenber<br /><br />newer drives with a dog clutch changed the angle so that when its in gear and the motor is running it LOCKS into gear and cant come out <br /><br />this is the biggest difference, there is a shift interupt device that kills the motor long enough to allow it to come out of gear<br /><br />the hard part is mounting all of these new parts on a motor that did not have them before<br /><br />you might want to pick up a seloc manual at the libary for a newer merc and look through it to see what i am talking about<br /><br />also looking at your steering cable it looks like a very week link compared to newer units<br /><br />tommays

JasonB

Lieutenant

888 Drives aren't impossible to find (I have one) and 302's are definetly plentiful. The real key is the bellhousing and Y Pipe as I think everything else if standard Mercruiser. I see Ford bellhousings on e-bay quite often and center exit risers can be purchased new as well. I ran across a company a couple years ago that sold a kit to convert from my log manifiolds to center riser and still use the stock Y pipe.<br /><br />I do believe the Mercruiser will need to be a bit further forward than the engine in your pics.

dka1ser

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the advice. My basic plan is to get through this season, and then my time is open to work on it as money allows. <br /><br />We have a new child coming, so after this summer, next season would be rather limited anyways, so I don't mind have it all disassembled for a year or two. I figure if I can focus on getting everything done besides engine/outdrive, that will give me time to research what it would take to switch to Merc outdrive, as well as time to search for a entire merc setup. <br /><br />I wanted a "feasibility" opinion from everyone. I didn't think about the shift kill interrupter. I imagine that part adds to the electrical mess. I guess If I found a donor for the outdrive, gimbal housing, and such, then I'm sure I could find a donor with block also for not too much more, and don't have to just search for the 888 Ford setup. <br /><br />Thanks again!<br /><br />just gotta find a dumpy boat with a V8 in it!

dka1ser

Seaman Apprentice

JasonB, why would I need a Y-pipe if i'm going straight out the back thru the transom? For that matter, why would I need to swap the exhaust manifolds/risers? I'm not interested in going thru-prop exhaust. <br /><br />I didn't plan on doing anything besdies moving the engine, and putting a new drive on it. However, it looks like that might be more tricky than previously thought. I dunno. I need some measurements to see how deep a Mercruiser V8 requires the engine area to be, from transom to front of pulleys.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by Laddies:<br /> Bondo, we all know how to throw money at a boat, if you don't understand what he is asking or trying to do. Try going to another post, your sarcasm certainly don't help the man with any answers. I know of a 188 with less than 200 hrs on it, with the boat and trailer that sold for $800 not a lot of those deals around, but there are some. Give him a break---Bob
I'm Sorry You don't like My answers Laddies........<br /><br />I've built a few old boats,.......<br />I've pieced them together from loose parts......<br />And,.. I've done it using "Donor Boats"...........<br /><br />I'm here to tell you,<br />You'll $pend Twice the Dollar$ piecing together a boat, than biting the bullet,+ Buying a Donor.......<br />Been There,........ Done It..........<br /><br />Buy an old Mod.1 drive(same as the 888) for $300./$500.... Tear it down,+ find it needs $800. in parts......<br />Then you've got More $$s in it than a New Aftermarket drive........<br /><br />What about the Needed Trim/Tilt System....<br />What about a Complete Shifting System.....<br />What about Trying to sort out the Mixing,+ Matching of a Merc. Cooling System,+ this Odd ball engine he has Now......<br />Which T-stat housing do you use ???.....<br />How does he plumb in His exhaust manifolds, when the cooling flow is Different than a Merc.....???<br /><br />If you Reread My posts,... I've Answered his Questions Exactly as he Asked them.........<br /><br />I'm just trying to Help Longhorn Not to do what I've Already Tried.............<br /><br />Cobbing Together a boat Will Co$t MORE than buying a Donor Boat.........<br />Plain,+ Simple..........<br /><br />I pickup Junk boats for little or Nothing......<br />You Don't Have to spend $3500./$5000. on a Donor....<br />But,... MOST boats for Less than $1000. will be a donor boat with Rebuildable Cores.......After you've rebuilt the Engine,+ Outdrive,+ Replaced the gimbel bearing or Whatever else Needs Replacing,.......<br />You've Still Spent the Same $5000........<br /><br />Buy a Running Donor Boat,.. With a Running driveline(the engine,+ drive that you WANT ),+ Then You've Got All the Pieces............<br />In the Overall Project,...... It's Cheaper......<br /><br />Longhorn's Already stated he'd Rather have a SBC.......<br />Good..... Parts Are Much More Ava....And, Cheaper... Because there's Soo Many of Them.......<br /><br />After All,......... Isn't the Ultimate Goal to have the Most Valuable boat, for the Least Investment ?????