eating cheap

phatmanmike

Captain
i just wanted to share some of my things i do when the wallet is growing a lil bit thin...<br /><br />ramen noodles 14 cents each<br /><br />hamburger helper, without the hamburger<br /><br />pasta sides in a packet, but without milk, just add water<br /><br />im pretty poor right now , although very thankfull for what i have, but would like other cheep ideas too<br /><br />m ikey

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: eating cheap

get an extra freezer, buy things like hamburger in<br />bulk, portion it out and freeze it ;) <br />less trips to stupid-market always means less impulse<br />buys... (about 20% of bill)

LadyFish

Admiral

Of course fish if you catch it yourself is cheap.<br /><br />But dried beans (any kind) are a great source of protein and are very filling. Ham hocks and salt pork are relatively inexpensive and add lots of flavor. Serve with rice or bread.

gaugeguy

Captain

Back when I was growing up, we were po folk too. You used to be able to buy canned goods that had lost their labels for like 10 for a buck. I don't know how many times I went to have a can of tuna and opened up a can of cat food. :eek: <br /><br />I also remember 5 pound bags of puffed rice cereal, I'd rather chew shards of glass than ever eat that stuff again ;)

SCO

Lieutenant

dried pinto beans, best to have a crock pot<br />grow your own tomatos<br />bulk sack of seeded oranges<br />whole chicken, smallest one<br />large sack rice<br /><br />Cook big batch :rice(2 dry cups), 1 lg yellow onion,1/2 lb hamburger or chicken,2 tomatos, 2bell pepper, 1cauliflower, 5 carrot. Brown hamburger, cook rice, and cook vegs w olive oil, tomatos go in last, combine, separate into daily allotments, freeze in zip bags, and eat one a day for a week or however long it lasts. The rice stretches the batch a long way.

one more cast

Captain

DEER, TURKEY, FISH, WOODCHUCK,(yes woodchucks are very good to eat), SQUIRLS,PEGIONS, dandilion greens and one of my favorites, cottage cheese and noodles.(boil noodles,drain, put back in pan with butter and add cottage cheese, heat until cheese is melted,season to taste).

oddjob

Commander

Beef neck bone is cheap and excellent for stroganof or spiegetti..well I can cook it..just cant spell it.<br /><br />When they put it out at the supermarket it doesnt last long and I grab as much as I can wrestle away from all the old ladies.<br /><br />You do need a crockpot to cook it off the bone.<br /><br />Whole chicken and cut it yourself. <br /><br />Carefull of those mixes, they are loaded with salt/sodium.<br /><br />I'll think of some more shortly as I have recently joined you for awhile do to divorce. I'm under temperary siege (sp). But I've been ther before.. :) <br /><br />Oh yeah, if theres one near you ,"The Honey Baked Ham Store" will sell you a ham bone that has been spiral cut for platters. Theres still alot of good meat still on because its done by a not frugal machine. I think its 5 bucks for about 3-5 pounds? dont remember but call ahead to verify first.<br /><br />We also used to go to thrift stores that has day old bread bolona, hot dogs and such. well, I think I'll take my advice and make some calls.. :D

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Bags of potatoes are pretty cheap. Buy bulk chicken and beef broths. Used to make stews and pototoe stews with.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by mellowyellow:<br /> hey, I like puffed rice GG! :p
Stuff tastes like those styrofoam packing peanuts. The good thing about them is once swallowed they puff up even more so you get full quickly. The bad side is you have to add 5lbs of sugar to get some taste, and then the teachers think you have ADD...<br /><br />Its a wonder I don't need counseling :D

oddjob

Commander

LOL at GG....<br /><br />Hey GG we were so pooooor I would eat mouthfulls of dry oatmeal for a snack....<br />or peanut butter and pickle relish sandwiches...well, ya just had to be creative the last few days before my mother would make the grocery run. :D

dk990496

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mac and Cheese 4 box's for a dollar cut up some hot dogs in it my son still loves that and it's cheap

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Just cause your broke don't mean ya can't eat like a king. Take advantage of all those wild hogs down there, there mighty fine eating. A box of shells and a cheap rifle should give ya all the meat ya want, most of it better than ya can buy at $6 pound. Add some potatoes and rice and anybody that set's down to eat with ya will think your living good. If meat and taters is poor man's food then I'm eating at the poor man's table.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by oddjob:<br /> Hey GG we were so pooooor I would eat mouthfulls of dry oatmeal for a snack....<br />or peanut butter and pickle relish sandwiches
WOW, you guys had oatmeal AND peanut butter AND relish? You guys were loaded! I wish you grew up in my neighborhood so you coulda invited me over for dinner :D <br /><br />Mustard sandwiches, now that's poooooor ;)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Quite often you can buy a ten pound bag of chicken quarters for anywhere from $.19 to $.49 a pound. Thats a whole lot cheaper than a whole chicken, which is usually around $1.19 a pound. Look and see if the store has a reduced meat section. There is nothing wrong with it, it just has to sell that day. I have some pork chops in the oven right now that were about half price. Use coupons and pay attention. Drink lots of water, it takes away the pangs when your not really hungry, you just think you are. As said before there are three staples to poor livin'- Rice, Beans, and Potatoes.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

One more I just thought of. Find a freind at a fast food place. At closing time all of the food has to be thrown away so theres a meal or two right there. My buddy would come extra chicken knowing it wouldn't sell and we would show up at quitting time. The owner noticed we were always there and started charging us but ONLY .10 A PIECE!

LadyFish

Admiral

Hey, nothing wrong with mustard sandwiches. We ate them a lot as a kid. We also had saltine crackers crushed up in milk. <br /><br />In addition to those delectable dishes, we went through the woods and surrounding fields and ate mustard weed, milk weed, dandelion greens and every kind of fruit nature would bear on its own. Including, the root of a water lilly. The Indian's used them as potatoes. Mushrooms were always readily available too.

SCO

Lieutenant

one word: roadkill! ;) In line with ladyfish's post, the cattail root os supposed to be like potatos too. Edible.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

When we were in college, we would make stone soup. A pot, water and a rock. Tell anyone who passes by or you call that you're making stone soup and invite them over. Just tell them if you have just one item missing and ask them to bring it and put in the pot. Pretty soon you got yourself a great tasting soup with every imaginable vegetable in there, that is if you ask enough people over.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br />
Originally posted by oddjob:<br /> Hey GG we were so pooooor I would eat mouthfulls of dry oatmeal for a snack....<br />or peanut butter and pickle relish sandwiches
WOW, you guys had oatmeal AND peanut butter AND relish? You guys were loaded! I wish you grew up in my neighborhood so you coulda invited me over for dinner :D <br /><br />Mustard sandwiches, now that's poooooor ;)
You had MUSTARD for sandwiches? Lap o' luxury! We were lucky to get bread sandwiches!<br /> :D :D