Eaten Impeller

hunterope

Seaman
I was testing out my 79 7.5 Merc and all was well till the pee hole went dry. It just stopped working. I dropped the lower end and found my impeller chewed to shreds... What in the world can cause this. My filter was inplace and clean, the Impeller was new last october(just replaced). All I can think that would cause this would be impropper installation. How is the impeller supposed to be inserted into the housing assembly? is it supposed to be tight or very loose? Are the veins to be bent or just touching the housing? Any info, before I put another impeller in would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Eaten Impeller

About 30 seconds run dry will scatter impeller blades to the wind. Accumulating 30 seconds by popping it off in the driveway for a few seconds at a time works just as well.

hope it helps
John

Neverhome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the identical situation with my 9.9. New impeller installed at the boat yard beginning of last year. Never noticed the stream not flowing and no problems with over heating. At the end of the season I need to have the reverse lock out repaird which required dropping the lower unit and low and behold, my impellar was fried too. No one ran the boat other than myself and the mechanic was at a loss to explain it too. Go figure. :)

Neverhome

hunterope

Seaman

I called up my parts dealer and I told him of what had happened. Knowing that I'm not one to lie, he ordered me a new impeller and asked for me to bring the motor down. He said he wanted to watch someone else turn wrench. So for a free part, it was worth the trip. He has no clue as to why my impeller just went to pieces, but there was no burnt plastic or signs of impropper wear. Go figure..

Good luck with your's bud..