Easyout/srew extractor

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've stripped a bolt in my outboard, so I've got a set of srew extractors. How are you supposed to use them? <br /> <br />I drilled the hold into it as per size on the extractor. Now what do I do? Do I first hammer it into it and then unwind it?

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Easyout/srew extractor

Big308, the extractors I have used with the reverse cut edges just require you to tap it a little, not hard, and then apply pressure while you unscrew it, once you get the extractor to bite into the bolt it will grab harder as you turn.<br /><br />Also if the bolt broke because it was siezed in the threads while you tried to remove it, make sure you use a good penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench and let it soak awhile.<br /><br />Hope it works for ya!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

when you say stripped, here in the states a stripped bolt means the threads are bad. a rounded bolt head means there is nothing left to put a socket/wrench on and the other is a broken bolt which usually means the head broke off cause its corroded in place. take my advice and toss them thar easy outs. its to quick and easy to just drill out and retap. if you miss you can drill oversize and rethread for the proper sized heli-coil. if you snapoff the easy out its a beyatch. if you must yse an easy out stay away from the spral tapered flute ones and use the square ones.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The problem with easyouts is that they force the threads out even harder against the hole. I have both kinds Rodbolt mentions, but most of the time I end-up drilling and tapping. The main thing is to start with a small bit and get larger. Keeping centered is tricky but crucial. Once you wander into the aluminum... :(

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

An EDM machine works best. Doesnt even bother the aluminum threads.

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies. Prob should have mentioned that it was a 1977 outboard with a cast head; the bolt is for the cylinder head cover. Its actually a broken bolt, due to a seize. I’ve soaked it in penetrating oil; before and after. I used the taper type remover, with a small tap into place. It was tight, I had to screw the remover into a vice to hold it and turn the head. The crappy remover stripped. At least it didn’t break in place. I think its time to drill and tap.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

This may be (well OK-- it is) a silly question but why are you taking the head/cover off? The reason I ask is because if you are rebuilding the motor and the head is no good anyway for some reason.....

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Betcha cause he runs a lotta' salt water. And I gotta agree with the other guys.....extractors are a waist of time. If you have access to a drill press, that's the thing you need to drill out the old bolt to retap size....but do get the first hole centered on what's left of the old bolt.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Kev, where in Oz are you? Melbourne?<br /><br />Aldo

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm up in Queensland. Yep the engine only ever gets run in salt water. The head is in good condition, but I had a blown head gasket. I though while I had the head off to have a play with the thermostat. (next time I may just leave it alone)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the leave it alone syndrome is why the head gasket blew:)<br /> gotta do the subsystem maint or pay the repairs.<br /> GOD I love not being a maytag man :) :) <br /> once you fix the headgasket next is to find the cause of failure. normally its a waterpump/t-stat issue.<br /> what motor ya workin with here ?

DHPMARINE

Captain

rodbolt,I think it's a 1977.That's old enough for a Maytag to fail without other causes.But it is cause to address maintenance.<br /><br />MAYTAG guy got tired of waiting to use the van,<br /><br />The guy in the tidy-bowl boat got tired of going in circles and went down under to unwind.<br /><br />DHP

87Aggie

Petty Officer 1st Class

A 1977 what? HP is never mentioned.

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the help. Its an Evinrude 1977 55hp 2 cylinder. I've had the boat for 6 years, and never touched the internals of the engine; don't know too much history prior. It gets a lot of hours clocked every year (all year around) What the hell is a Maytag? I took the head to the local Marine repair shop, he seems to think the gasket only blew from age; said it could be the original one. He is the one who suggested to open up and play with the thermostat while I'm there; just to make sure. The overheat alarm only went off once about 6 months ago, the water pump is pumping heaps of water.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by OBJ:<br />..extractors are a waist of time.
As a Machinist, I must say Extractors have their place. They are for removing broken bolts. They are NOT however, for removing CORRODED broken bolts. Thats a drill and tap job. Or like we all know, try it anyway, and make the guy with the EDM machine happy. Right tool, right job. No shortcuts! ;)