Eagle 480DF Sonar/GPS

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking at purchasing one of these units. Are there any opinions out there on this unit. Thanks for any advice. ;)

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Eagle 480DF Sonar/GPS

John<br />I think a great unit for deep Saltwater. For shallow fresh water down to about 80 a 200khz single frequency may be better.<br /><br />The Dual frequency transducer is 12 degrees at 200khz and 36 degrees at 50 khz. So in the 200khz mode fishing in about 30 feet of water you will see about 6 feet circle on the bottom. Single frequency unit is 20 degrees at 200khz so at 30 feet see a 10 foot circle.

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I will be using this in fresh water with the deepest depth at about 500ft. I like the GPS fish finder combo, do you have any recomendations.<br />Thanks

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class

John,<br />I'm sure the unit you're describing will be great. I have a Lowrance LCX 15. I really like the larger screen because I run it in split GPS/SONAR mode quite a bit for the type fishing I do. When trolling for summer Walleye I first go through a promising area and waypoint the individual fish or groups of fish. I then troll/fish back over my waypoints and use the sonar to see if they are in the same location. If you plan on using your unit similarly, you would probably really appreciate the larger screen size. <br />JD

Boatist

Rear Admiral

John<br />If you will be useing it down to 500 feet then you do need the dual frequency unit as the 200khz will not work that deep to see fish.<br /><br />I agree with what JD said also. If you getting a combow unit get as big a screen as you can afford.<br /><br />If you plan on keeping it a long time then I suggest you also think color. The color units do not diaplay any more info but they are much eaiser to see. You can view the color units from either side of the boat or from the back. The mono units you pretty much must be right in front of and at the right angle to see.

acc

Seaman

I'm currently looking for a replacement depthfinder for my saltwater boat. Three Rivers Marine suggested the Eagle unit or the Lowrance X126df.....I can't tell the difference....<br /><br />I don't like combo units....One half always seems to break...

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Acc<br />Eagle Seafinder 480DF and the Lowrance 126DF look to be very close. If you fish deep salt water then the Lowrance 136DF looks to be a better unit. At least Lowrance says good to 2500 feet where the first to are good to 1700 feet.<br /><br />They all report to have the same power of 500 watts. So either the Lowrance 136DF has a more sensitive receiver or Lowrance just want to see if saying it works deeper makes it worth more. Lowrance/Eagle have used some very misleading marketing for a few years now. Still they are some of the better units. For deep salt water I would probably go with Furuno or maybe Garmin. Walk by the commerical docks at bodega bay and you will see about 80 percent Furuno.<br /><br />One thing You should really start a seperate post of your own with all the details about what you want. I also should probably not have responded here on John thread.

acc

Seaman

John:<br /><br />I've completed my evaluation......Eagle 480df wins....The differences between it and the Lowrance are minor and not useful to me.....for $110. difference....<br /><br />One caution.....words I heard were "Don't get a Furuno 6100" ..... Other Furunos are great....