E70tleda tell tale question

chubcobear

Seaman Apprentice
Does it pee even if thermostat is shut? I have no pee stream and I suspect the thermostat. Do I have a pee stream even if thermostat is closed? I ran on muffs, water out the exhaust hub but no pee stream. Thanks.

James R

Commander
Re: E70tleda tell tale question

Big question. Is the motor overheating?
Check that the tell tale is not blocked.The thin plastic tube that comes on a spray lub can or similar carefully poked up the hole with the motor running often does the trick.
Testing a motor for water flow on muffs will tell you nothing except that the Water faucet is working.
Need to put the lower unit in a barrel or pond deep enough that the water is at least above the joint between the Exhaust housing and the lower unit. Now you can see if the water pump is working.
There should be a strong tell tale with or without the thermostat open.
When was the water pump last serviced?

chubcobear

Seaman Apprentice

James,
Not running long enough to get hot. I saw no pee and shut it down. I cleared pee tube because I also suspected blockage, still no pee when I tried again. My question was a hope that it would be an easy thermostat job. I suspected that it was water pump. Water pump replaced by local boat motor mechanic about 7 months ago and boat had been used since that time 3 times with strong pee and no problems. There was also a muff warm up 40 days ago with no problem, strong pee. (I try to run it on muffs every thirty days during off season) Hard to think it would go bad sitting in a garage for 40 days. Thanks for your reply.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Yes it should pee immediately at least mine does.

Is this in water or on muffs?

The pump on an outboard has to be completely submerged to pump water, it won't suck it up and alot of times it can be hard to get going on muffs.

Hard to believe a pump would go bad that fast, maybe pull the line at the block, could have picked up a blockage there so no water is making it through the tube.

Is there water coming out anyhwere else lie the exhaust relief?

James R

Commander

Blockages do occur but not very often.
Despite the fact that the pump was serviced I would pull the lower unit and start there.There are a few reasons for premature pump failure.
Cup or plate is scored. a new impeller will pump for a short time and then fail. The impeller is incorrectly installed, one or more blades facing the wrong way. The key has failed. The motor has been run without water. The tube seal has failed. Pump securing screws have come loose. If a previous impeller failed then a piece of impeller could be causing a blockage.
Hope this helps.

chubcobear

Seaman Apprentice

5150 & James,
Thanks for the help. I will get a short plastic barrel and test the motor with intake vents submerged. If no go, then the lower unit will get pulled.

James R

Commander

Submerging the intake vents will not be enough. You will need to submerge the lower unit to above the Joint between the Lower unit and the drive shaft housing. The pump will not prime and work unless this is done.

chubcobear

Seaman Apprentice

James,
Got ready to do as you suggested this morning. I found that the lower unit is leaking oil from the exhaust hub (thick, like lower unit oil). Does this mean I have a ruptured seal somewhere in the drive line. Could this be why I cannot get the impeller to pump water thru to the pee hole?

James R

Commander

If the oil is black it is probably only unburnt fuel mix mixed with exhaust soot.
This is normal.You will see this as a result of running on muffs or in a barrel.
It is still there when you are in the pond but it is carried away in the water so you don't see it. After running in the barrel you will need to clean the muck off the lower unit.