e-tech outboards

olm

Seaman
Done with the ram motor leaned out and blew up last week end. Took a test drive today on a factory equiped e-tech boat today. I was impressed, wanted to get feedback from the group on these motors good, bad, or indiffrent.

joeschmoe

Recruit
Re: e-tech outboards

I am in the same position as you...I am researching the new E-Tecs. I must admit I can not find ANY negative comments on the E-Tec except from the die-hard merc fans...In one forum I found "CaptFlechter" running a 250 E-Tec with over 150 hours on it since October '04 and he had nothing but rave reviews about it, on another forum I found several people waiting on their E-Tec V-6's once they rode in a dealers E-Tec boat...<br /><br />I am going to buy mine in about 2 weeks E-Tec 225 HO. I can not find one real reason to not buy this motor other than my back pocket is going to be hurting... Try http://www.Boatsetup.com and http://www.Bassboatcentral.com and look in their forums for more information...Hope this helps

DHPMARINE

Captain

olm,<br />what was the make boat ?I'm curios about E-tec,but see very little on it<br /><br />DHP

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I stopped at a booth at the Minneapolis Boat Show last month where a dealer had a 90 HP E-tec set up in a tank. The facility would let them run the engine indoors 5 minutes every hour. At the top of the hour the rep said here we go. He literally twitched the key like you would flick a fly off your face and the engine started. It is so quiet and smooth you could have set a wine glass on it and it would not have spilled. I watched this engine the full five minutes and did not smell the exhaust. No smoke, no sputter.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You will start seeing more commercials and "info-mercials" on E-TECs and comparing them to the Verado and the Yamaha 4 strokes.<br /><br />They were shown last week in the South Florida area.

olm

Seaman

the boat i tested was a factory rigged trition 25 walkaround with 2- 225 etechs. I took the ride on the sugestion of the Bonb dealer in key largo FL. The only thing that i did notice some idle shake like the yammis, but it was quite and supper quick of plane. you could hold a converstion at 4k rpms without having to scream at each other. My concern is I have gone through the Ram experience and it was ok to loose the boat for a few days every couple of months as long as it didnt cost me anything. Now may waranty is gone and I am looking at having to spen 4500.00 to install a new power head. I am hesitant to go through this again.

olm

Seaman

the boat i tested was a factory rigged trition 25 walkaround with 2- 225 etechs. I took the ride on the sugestion of the Bonb dealer in key largo FL. The only thing that i did notice some idle shake like the yammis, but it was quite and supper quick of plane. you could hold a converstion at 4k rpms without having to scream at each other. My concern is I have gone through the Ram experience and it was ok to loose the boat for a few days every couple of months as long as it didnt cost me anything. Now may waranty is gone and I am looking at having to spen 4500.00 to install a new power head. I am hesitant to go through this again.

JohnGian

Recruit

Just rigged an Intrepid with Suzuki 250 4 strokes. Very nice motors. Ran 63 mph full throttle, approx 8 mph faster than the 250 Yamy ox66's they replaced. At about 14 hrs the flywheel exploded on one engine! (very scary experience!) Now I'm thinking e-tec and looking for any possible problems. Heard them run at the Miami show and very impressed but had miserable experiences with OMC stuff years ago....

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

I saw the E-Tec infomercial a couple months back and unless they just exaggerate performance it seemed like a pretty good motor, especially for a 2-stroke. The one part that I could see being a little more candy coated was the "drag race" with I think was only 3 identical Rangers, one with Verado, Yamaha, and E-Tec. The E-Tec blew them out the water like they were standing still from the hole shot and past about 1/4 mile and still pulling away.

501ZP

Cadet

I bought a 75 e-tec last year and it runs sooo well. Good on gas and 100 to 1 on oil. Very quiet, very smooth. Self fogging and starts every time like Upinsmoke says. I fogged it to put it away and the weather warmed up so I put it in the water and again, started like I have never seen. No smoke or smell.I love the motor.

Sherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might want to read the comparsion of the E-Tec 200 HO , Mercury OptiMax200 and Yamaha VMax200 published in the last issue Dec 05 of Base and Walleye Boats. It has lots of great information.