E Bay security breach ?

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer
I am furious<br /><br />Today I received an unsolicited mail from ebay. I have never been on an ebay site, ever.<br /><br />The first line of the e-mail has my user name and shows my unique :mad: PASSWORD :mad: that I use to gain access to the internet.<br /><br />How did they get these details?<br /><br />Andrew

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: E Bay security breach ?

email is not from ebay.<br />It is a scam.<br />Do not click on any links in that email.<br />Contact your isp and report it.

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also forward the mail to the alias "spoof@ebay.com" and they will get back to you, probably within a couple of hours, confirming it's a fraudulent email.<br /><br />If you're basing the idea that the mail is from ebay by looking at the From: field, remember that with some software it's easy to spoof the sender in an email message.<br /><br />You might want to pull up a new browser and independently log onto your ebay account and reset your password, there's a chance that someone has broken into your account and is using it to commit fraud by placing nonexistent merchandise up for sale.

Tinkr

Cadet

Originally posted by Andrew Leigh:<br /> The first line of the e-mail has my user name and shows my unique :mad: PASSWORD :mad: that I use to gain access to the internet.<br /><br />Andrew
Your email didn't come from eBay.<br /><br />Do you mean that the email has the password that you normally use to log on to the internet, as distinct from a password assigned to you in the email?<br /><br />If it's the former, you're in trouble. <br /><br />You may have spyware on your computer that is sending data to someone without your knowledge. If it has your password it's probably got into your password files or there's a keystroke logger or other logger in the spyware. If it's a keystroke logger it can pick up every keystroke you make,including internet banking and bank account numbers and passwords.<br /><br />Download Spybot for free at http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html <br />and run it to see if there's spyware on your computer. <br /><br />If you can't find anything with Spybot, get a computer tech to check your computer.<br /><br />Don't use your computer for anything sensitive, like banking, until you're sure your computer is clean or you might find your account cleaned out. Or, worse, your identity might be stolen and debts incurred in your name, which you'll have a lot of trouble avoiding. <br /><br />What I don't understand is why anyone would advertise that they have your password. Usually they want to keep that quiet. Maybe they want to set up an eBay account in your name to sell dodgy goods or commit a fraud in your name.<br /><br />As already posted, under no circumstances click on any links in the email or otherwise respond to it.<br /><br />Edit: If you want to know where it came from, and assuming you're using some form of MS Outlook, highlight the email in your Inbox list (DO NOT open it!) then click on File, then Properties, then Details. I bet eBay isn't the source, although it'll have an ostensible eBay sender somewhere in all that garbage.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

BTW Spybot does not catch some of the most vicious key stroke loggers. You have been "hacked" by a spyware that has most likely sent your personal info to the owners server.<br /><br />Change all id's and passwords. If you shop on the net from that PC, get new credit cards from your bank.

Tinkr

Cadet

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> Change all id's and passwords. If you shop on the net from that PC, get new credit cards from your bank.
If there's a logger on your computer, it'll still pick up the changes if you don't clean it first.<br /><br />If you're shopping on the net, a debit card is better. It doesn't have a credit limit. Just transfer money to it as needed. You can't lose more than you have in the debit card account.<br /><br />I still don't understand why anyone would advertise that they have your password. I'm a high feedback eBay seller and I get several phishing eBay emails most days, not to mention all the other crooked stuff that comes through, but I've never seen one like this.