DUX boat cracked transom

Jeff Salinas

Cadet
Hello everyone,

This boat has been giving me some grief lately. Mainly because of the longshaft motor that I have. I know I should sell it and get a shortshaft 40-50, but right now I do have the longshaft and have been working around it. In the process I'm sure that is why my transom cracked. I had to use a jackplate to raise the motor for the correct height. It was working for a while but when I was out yesterday I noticed the crack in the transom as I was motoring back in.

Here are pics of the crack. If anyone can please share on any reinforcement tips and how anyone repaired a cracked aluminum transom. Thanks everyone.

Oh and by the way, when it comes to these tunnel hull inflatable cats, I can see why DeeJaycee doesn't like the DUX line. His boats are the Stainless Steel transoms, and with these boats they do go through alot of stress.

Here's the current setup;
IMGP6856.jpg

topview crack;
IMGP6859.jpg

closeup view crack;
IMGP6868.jpg

underside view crack;
IMGP6862-1.jpg

thanks again,

Jeff

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: DUX boat cracked transom

That is definitely a bummer.Square aluminum section like that doesn't seem like a good choice. Aluminum really doesn't like flexing, cracks and breaks are to be expected. I don't think I would be comfortable with just welding the aluminum square section break. Sure looks like a new transom is in order. Wherever your jack plate ends there is always going to be a concentration of stress. The jack plate and motor mount assembly are far stronger and more rigid than the transom. Nice the way the vertical transom tube is positioned right at the spot too. Considering the hassle to even try and get the transom welded, the cost of an new aluminum transom and possible reinforcment maybe a trip to your local metal fabricator is in order for a ss replacement. Probably better than trying to reinforce the aluminum transom with two sandwiched ss cut plates. Good luck, sure wish my boat could fly.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Hi Jeff ..... you can get it welded but it will just keep on cracking, there is way too much stress on that transom .... you need a 2-stroke shortshaft ....

player

Recruit

You should of bought a Thunderduck! Tomass chaffee should replace that for you free! Get it fixed and then look into getting a stainless one peice transom boat that can handle that set up! Did I mention Thunderduck boats? I think they have 20" transom set ups.

brogreg

Recruit

Dux boats are not supported once the owner has money in his hands
My dux Hammerhead had over 17 leaks in the seams when i bought it new as well as an exploding pontoon at there recommended pressure of 6psi (violent explosion)
the most they did for me was send me some glue and they sent it collect
the excuses from these people were unbelievable
stay away from them

as for 2 stroke short shaft on there boat using my yamaha 30 2 stroke
i had to have the transom lowered
other wise it was just a mount for a blender

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

My dux Hammerhead had over 17 leaks in the seams when i bought it new as well as an exploding pontoon at there recommended pressure of 6psi (violent explosion) stay away from them

Was that a word of mouth recommendation or owners manual 6.0 psi out of this world pressure written information, incredible so may leaks and owner washing hands...

brogreg

Recruit

That's in the owners manual

i had it repaired by inflatables 911

they did a great job and it only gets 3psi from now on

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Yeap, 3-3.5 max pressure is the way to go once on water no matter how thick tube's fabric is. Probably 6.0 psi is for the speed tubes if this model happends to have under deck.

Happy Boating

brogreg

Recruit

Yeap, 3-3.5 max pressure is the way to go once on water no matter how thick tube's fabric is. Probably 6.0 psi is for the speed tubes if this model happends to have under deck.

Happy Boating

yup
this boat has speed tube aka high jackers
the instructions that i have from the manufacturer are for 6 psi in the main tubes as well as the high jackers
the tubes inside the main tubes (6tubes in total) the instructions say to fill like a firm pillow (pretty precise instructions)
they also claim that the pump they supply is designed to automatically pop off at 6psi

it's just a regular off the shelf 2 stroke hand pump with the same fittings as the ones at walmartScan 1.jpg

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

That's a lot of pressure, 6.0 psi would understand for the under speed tubes alone, but not on main tubes with 3.5 /4.0 psi are pretty hard solid, imagine overinflation from that recommended pressure in plain summer...kpum!! i

Happy Boating