dumb Question

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: dumb Question

little or no boom - boom in the cylinders which cause the pistons to go up and down which cause the driveshaft to turn round which cause the prop to spin which cause the boat to move - if in water of course.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hard starting or not starting, poor accelleration, bad fuel economy, not able to produce power or reach higher rpm's, or all of the above.

rookiemechanic

Recruit

After reading this post I figured you all may know the answer to my problem. I've been told in other posts to check the compression, but I don't know how. What tools do I need and whats the procedure for checking the compression. Appreciate your help

rookiemechanic

Recruit

Forgot to ad this. Engine is 225 evinrude v6 with poor starting and max wot rpm of 2000. not running real well

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer

'Mornin' KiwOn2,<br /><br />Stop at your local auto part storeand pick up a compresion test gauge. They can be had from about $15.00<br /><br />Remove and ground the plugs. Throttle the carbs to wide open. Then, one cylinder at a time, connect the compression gauge to a cylinder and crank the engine a few times until the gauge reading stabelizes.<br /><br />Each cylinder ought to read 100+psi AND more importantly, the cylinders sould read within 10% of each other.<br /><br />Let us know and we'll go from there<br /><br />Good Luck<br />HAVE FUN!

StAugVol

Seaman Apprentice

Rookie,<br />Klondike is right, I'd only add to try to get a gauge that's graduated in as small increments as you can get. The one I got is in 5lb increments. also, after you crank it and the reading stabilizes, let it sit a second and see if the pressure stays up or starts to fall off rapidly. don't forget to torque your plugs right when ya put em back in.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Also, get a gauge that screws in, not one that you push in the spark plug hole (pain, requires 2 people and squirts crud in your eye)