dumb a/c question

Texan_Ron

Cadet
My wife is wanting an a/c for the cabin the question is is it possible to utilize an automotive a/c unit and if so how would i go about the condencer or am I wasting my time since I am not to crazy about having a electrical unit ontop of the cabin bouncing around while riding??? you may start laughing now lol :D :D :D

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: dumb a/c question

I don't know about automotive units, but I have seen marine units that are mounted below deck. I don't know if they are ducted or run off the engine. A search might turn something up.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Texan Ron,<br /><br /> This something that I have been kicking around. Mounting a A/C compressor from a car, use a water cooled condenser(which would be tapped off the waterpump, and returned through the exhaust), and a small air handler. Then use insulated 4" flex duct to route through the cabin.<br /><br />I even thought about using bilge blowers to use for the airhandle blower. This way they would be USCG Approved. However I am not sure about the clutch would be approved since it would be possible for it to throw a spark.<br /><br />Two reasons I have not gone ahead with my plans.<br /><br />1. Knowing the clutch would not be approved.<br />2. Sitting for long periods with the A/C on would lead to premature failure of your drive line, since it is constantly turning. (Unless you have an inboard with a trans)<br /><br />Still without A/C but still scratching the head trying to figure something else out. Good Luck SS

D

DJ

I have never seen an engine driven A/C compressor for, I suspect, precisely the reasons that SS gives.<br /><br />Boat A/C units are self contained and typically use raw (lake) water for cooling the condenser. They are VERY efficient.<br /><br />Trying to guage condenser size using water as a cooling medium as opposed to air would be difficult.

BillP

Captain

Back in the 60s, 70s & 80s automotive ac compressors were common for boat freezers and refridges. Good setups would freeze 4 cu ft with an hr a day of running...I had one driven off a 15hp diesel. I don't see why one couldn't be made to work for air conditions BUT I don't think the compressors are big enough to keep a boat cool. A 5000 btu window ac unit wouldn't keep my 30' wooden sailboat cool in 90F.

Texan_Ron

Cadet

thanks for the replies the cabin is about the size of a 4-door full size car hoped would be enough think i might call a local auto- a/c shop about how to seal the cluch of spark if anyone gets more ideas please let me know ( being here in houston i know auto engines sits long time in traffic with a/c running at least my wifes car does lol without over heating or is this an issuce for the sterndrive unit?

tmac58star

Seaman Apprentice

Why don't you rig a portable AC unit to run off a deep cell battery? That way you don't have to carve up or modify your rig. I would draw the line at a portable TV tuned to Orpa, however. Some things are meant to be.

BillP

Captain

TexanRon,<br />Don't quote me on this but I do remember the installation guy telling me Chrysler auto compressors were best for boat fridges. That was a long time ago but I remember there was something special about that brand for marine use...it may have been a shielded spark.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Back when cars were big, the compressor that was oversized was used in GM cars. The long cylinder shaped unit. I was told that it was capable of up 12K btu. <br /><br /> Those cars had little insulation in the roof which was big enough to be a patio plus all those big windows. They were oversized because of the outside thermal factor. <br /><br />I insulated my cabin using the black closed cell foam used for a/c ducts and panels. 7/8" thick. Then I used solar tint on my windows which only allows 22% of sunlight in. Doing those two things have made it bearable inside the cabin now.<br /><br />SS