"Dude" I got a Dell

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class
After many years of building and upgrading my own PC's, I finally ordered one from Dell. I'm an avid gamer and was getting tired of not being able to run my favorite games with the graphics fully enabled. My "old" system was a AMD 1.4 ghz with a gig of Sdram memory and a 128 meg Nvidia Ti4200 video card. It performed ok for most functions but I really like to fly using FS2004.<br />I recently acquired a lot of add on planes and scenery for the flight sim but could not enjoy them due to the "slow" 1.4 ghz system.<br />I ordered a Dell 4600 system running a Pentium 3.06 Ghz processor with Hyper Threading technology on a 533 front side bus, 512 of DDR memory at 333 mhz and a 7200 rpm hard drive. I put the Nvidia video card in and loaded the flight sim game. The Dell came with a "free" 17" LCD display also. Anyways, WOW, what a difference. I set the graphics at different levels in the game and am getting from 20-60 fps.<br />The old system was 6-20 fps. I installed the latest video drivers, Direct-x, and a utility called GameXP, to enhance the system. <br />Prior to starting the game I use kill-it-all to shut down any unnecessary programs running to give the game all the PC resources.<br />The visuals are stunning, the photographic scenery is like you are there. <br />The system was 800 dollars shipped to the door. I priced the components to build a similar system myself, it was close to a thousand dollars.<br />Anyways, I believe this system will last for a few years technology wise before any upgrades are necessary.<br />Maybe a new super geewiz video card will help even more but for now it rocks. My Ti4200 card now uses the full AGP 8X speed it is designed for.<br /><br /> :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: "Dude" I got a Dell

Yea I got one of them Dells and really like it.<br />That 7200 hard drive sure makes a difference.

LadyFish

Admiral

Dude I have a Dell too and have been very happy with it. About time to upgrade our hard drive is making a lot of noise lately so thanks for the info.

ndemge

Commander

that's one of the big things that got me out of gaming was keeping my box up to date.<br /><br />My last upgrade was from a P2-450 / TNT2 to my current setup of 1.2g Athlon, 512DDR, geforce2 MX400 <br /><br />It can do anything I need it to do (except gaming) so it doesn't get upgraded for a while.

SCO

Lieutenant

Indcredible framerate. Id like to get set up for the newest Microsoft combat flight simulator. The realism of flying online against other pilots was incredible a few years ago with an 800 mhz system. I may have to get one.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

My wife and I are going to order a DELL soon too. I still have my trusty (but ancient) home built Pentium II, 350Mhz, 256MB, still running Win98SE. Hey it works....<br /><br />It'll get passed down to my girls to use for whatever they want, and we'll get a new DELL with WinXP. I just want to get it ordered/built the way I want.<br /><br />Butch

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> dude I got 2 dells now.<br /> I bought my son a 2300 series 18 months ago. its not fast enough to play his killer games. so early this month I ordered a 4600 upgraded with some dvdplayers and 512 meg ram and the 7200rpm hard drive with 120g of memory and some killer speakers with subwoofers as well as a 19" monitor. all told even with my coupons it was close to 1250 bucks. my sister is going to be the happy benificery of a slightly used set up. what started out as a simple upgrade to play a game set me back a bunch. and today they hooked up DSL. no sense in all that speed and a dailup<br /><br /> man I hope boats break a lot this year :) :) :) <br /><br />good luck and I hope your as happy with the 4600 as we are

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Dude, by purchasing Dell products you are supporting a company that gives $$$ to anti gun causes.<br /><br />No Dell products for me.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I stand semi corrected.<br />I based my prior satement regarding Dell on the incident that happened and statments made by a corporate employee at the time. It was well publicized in the shooting world.<br />While it appears Dell has taken steps to right the situation, I am still somewhat troubled by the affilate connection between HCI and Dell.<br />That association, however tenuous, is enough to cause me to purchase other brands.

Homerr

Commander

Personally... I will never buy an off-the-shelf system again. I build my own. I haven't heard of too many horror stories from Dell.<br /><br />My system now is a Asus A7V266E, Athlon XP 1900, 512 ram, LaedTek Geforce3 video.<br /><br />It will run every game I toss at it. Unreal 2004, Quake, Medal of Honor, even the flight sims (love combat sim) :) And I don't turn down any graphics settings. I run them full open.<br /><br />My current system is quickly becoming outdated, so I'm working on a new 64 bit Athlon system. The price of the components hasn't come down far enough for my budjet yet :( <br />I can't wait to try the SATA hard drive!<br /><br />H.

SCO

Lieutenant

For the record, I'm not concluding Dell to be right or wrong. I'm glad you brought it up Bomer. That kind of activism in an unrelated industry should be discussed. The relationship bugs me too.

rogerwa

Commander

TPD.. I also bought the 4600 with the 17" flat panel. That panel is awesome.. is it not??<br /><br />I had DSL installed at the same time. Its like a whole new thing. Previously I had an HP I bought in 97 with a 233mhz P1 that for some strange reason did not come with any L2 cache.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

After a number of years with Dell as company standard pc's, I have to warn against Inspiron series.<br /><br />We've got some 10 of various specs and they all fall behind for office use. Even fails or experience faulty modems, keyboards etc.<br /><br />Go for Latitude!

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey everyone,<br /><br />Concerning the posts about Dell versus the gunsmith, I checked out snopes on the internet and the incident is 100% true.<br /> http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/dell.htm <br /><br />As a gun owner myself (I have a Remington 870 12GA shotgun), I just don't know what to feel about Dell... Their computers are incredible. My company has tons of them, and my sister/brother-in-law just got one and love it.<br /><br />Butch