Dual Yamaha Ignition Switch Not Working

John W Gehman

Recruit
On spring start up, my left engine switch for my dual 1989 Yamaha L130 ETXE would not work. It seemed to be the starter relay but a new one made no difference. When I started it with a starter rope, the key did not turn it off. Turning the key neither activates the alarm or turns the motor over. If I switch the connections, the right key will turn the left motor over and the left key will turn the right motor over, but the left key will not turn the left motor over, turn the alarm on, or turn the motor off. DoI have a short in the ground, a bad ignition switch or what am I having here? Your insights will be appreciated.
Good bites to you,
John:)

John W Gehman

Recruit
Re: Dual Yamaha Ignition Switch Not Working

On spring start up, my left engine switch for my dual 1989 Yamaha L130 ETXE would not work. It seemed to be the starter relay but a new one made no difference. When I started it with a starter rope, the key did not turn it off. Turning the key neither activates the alarm or turns the motor over. If I switch the connections, the right key will turn the left motor over and the left key will turn the right motor over, but the left key will not turn the left motor over, turn the alarm on, or turn the motor off. DoI have a short in the ground, a bad ignition switch or what am I having here? Your insights will be appreciated.
Good bites to you,
John:)

Update: on farther investigation, I discovered a major short in the wiring harness to the left ignition unit with several wires melted together. On correction the ignition problem resolved! Thank God.
Good bites to you,
John